Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phosphate sources, and use of phosphate remover

1. Back To Top    #1

Phosphate sources, and use of phosphate remover

I am considering a phosphate remover to help prevent algae growth. (I have read many of the threads here on this topic, and understand that adequate FC levels will prevent algae.) Two specific questions.

I believe that my pool has very low phosphates, but I want to make sure I haven't overlooked an obvious non-trivial source. I contacted my water utility and found that phosphates in the water supply are below detectable levels (13 ppb). So no major source there. No agriculture or industry nearby (I live in Berkeley, at the foot of the hills, about 1.5 miles from the bay). Pool is covered 18 hours/day. Very little organic debris in the pool. Swimmers are clean. Clothes washer detergent has no phosphates, so no residue there. Small amounts of phosphate presumably from soil, organic matter blow in. Had algae once when FC went to zero by mistake. So I'm thinking I have very little phosphate, and it is the limiting nutrient.

Question #1: Is there some potentially non-trivial source of phosphate that I could be overlooking?

Question #2: If my phosphates are as low as I suspect, can i use less than the recommended amount of Orenda PR10000 (to save money) without reducing its effectiveness?
    Last edited by szmad; 07-23-2016 at 02:05 AM. Reason: needed to add Q2; auto-correct incorrectly changed ppb to ppm
    IG, vinyl (27 mil), 12,000 G, Apr 2016, OREQ TK400 test kit
    Pentair Tagelus sand filter, Intelliflow variable speed pump, automatic cl/br feeder
    solar bubble pool cover, full sun ~8 hrs/d, water temp 79-84 F May-Oct
    municipal water supply has low nitrates (<0.4 ppm), sulfates, turbidity, TDS
    don't know about phosphates, but suspect they are low (no agriculture around)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Phosphate sources, and use of phosphate remover

1. A phosphonate metal sequestrant may have been used when the pool was started.
    2. I don't know

Alternate comment re: question no. 2: To save money, don't use phosphate removers. If measured as achieving something beneficial for your pool, effectiveness is 0 and therefore can not be reduced.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Why do you want to remove phosphates? If it's because it's food for algae, if you kill the algae, it doesn't matter how much "food" is there. Chlorine is much cheaper then any phosphate remover.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

The giganticist phosphate thread of all time is right here,
    Phosphates.....are they worth removing??
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Refer to pooldv's link above. That thread covers phosphates quite thoroughly and is open for discussion. I am closing this thread.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School