Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Pool Drain and Algae Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Total Pool Drain and Algae Removal

Hi, I'm a Newbie to TFT.

My CYA is 200 and it's hopeless, so I'm ready to totally drain my 13,500 in-ground chlorine pool into the sewer cleanout and start over. I've read a great deal of this awesome information on TFT and now understand why I've had challenges balancing the pool chemistry because I had never before seen the Pool Math calculator. I've also ordered a K-2006 kit.

My FC and CC were both 0. I made a decision not to do the complete SLAM process as to bring my CYA down to 50 it would have required 23 jugs of 96 oz. bleach. Instead, to make a big dent in the algae on the pool walls and some on the floor, I did use 6 jugs of 96 oz bleach and 2 lbs. of 73% Calcium Hypo and been brushing like a mad man! The pool water looks clear, but there is still some residual algae on the pool walls and floor.

After the pool is drained, what should be my best algae removal strategy before I start refilling the pool with water? I assume I could brush closer and use my pressure washer, but should I consider any other chemicals?

Thanks,

Marc in Dallas, TX

PS: I did complete my pool info in my Signature but I'm now sure how to make it show up here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total Pool Drain and Algae Removal

Welcome to TFP!

It doesn't look like you saved the signature after you entered the info. Click Save bottom right. To make it show up click the show sig box on the left under the text box. Once you check it it will stay checked. It needs to be checked once for each device.

You could brush it and spray it with some diluted bleach. But either way you will need to SLAM the pool when it is refilled so I would skip it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Before you totally drain, what type of pool surface do you have?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    After the pool is drained, what should be my best algae removal strategy before I start refilling the pool with water?
    You cannot mechanically remove algae from any pool. You kill algae with chlorine.

If you drain your pool, I would work on any stains you can remove ( a mixed spray of chlorine and water works) but remember, after you refill, chlorine is what keeps algae out of your pool.....not filtration or any other mechanical means
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School