Ants living under pool deck, pushing dirt in and generally being mischevious

threecheese

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
Long Island, NY
I have an old steel, vinyl liner IG pool, a concrete deck surrounding it, with metal coping that is fixed to the concrete, and I have an ant problem.

They are living *underneath* the concrete deck and swarming all over the expansion joints and the coping. It appears that dirt under some of the concrete pads has washed away or settled over the years (sorta hollow under some of them), and the pads have heaved a bit and caused pieces of coping to separate slightly - the ants are pushing dirt from under the pads into the pool through these gaps. It looks like they are behind the liner as well - it is coming off in some places, and I see dirt and ants in the liner channel (like a little ant highway around the pool).

My question is, how can I safely eradicate them, given that they are so close to water that my family swims in?

I have purchased food grade DE and put it in the expansion joints and around the coping, but after a week it has not really done a whole lot. I am considering a scorched-earth approach, but don't want to contaminate my pool. Any ideas? Wife isn't happy :)

Amdro ant bait - AMDRO : Home . You need the ants to take the poison back to their nest where the queen lives so that she is killed along with the rest of the hive. It's just like the Aliens movies - if you want to take out the aliens, you have to kill the queen...just don't get caught by a face-hugger....

This is the stuff you want. It's concentrated and you mix it into a pump sprayer. 7.9 % Bifenthrin Pest Control Multi Insecticide (same as talstar pro & Bifen I/T). I bought a bottle on amazon. This will take out any insect problem that you have.

What you want is something with fipronil. It doesn't move much with water run off and kills the whole colony. I use it sparingly near where I see ants making dirt mounts and in a few days they are 100% gone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.