Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ants living under pool deck, pushing dirt in and generally being mischevious

1. Back To Top    #1

Ants living under pool deck, pushing dirt in and generally being mischevious

I have an old steel, vinyl liner IG pool, a concrete deck surrounding it, with metal coping that is fixed to the concrete, and I have an ant problem.

They are living *underneath* the concrete deck and swarming all over the expansion joints and the coping. It appears that dirt under some of the concrete pads has washed away or settled over the years (sorta hollow under some of them), and the pads have heaved a bit and caused pieces of coping to separate slightly - the ants are pushing dirt from under the pads into the pool through these gaps. It looks like they are behind the liner as well - it is coming off in some places, and I see dirt and ants in the liner channel (like a little ant highway around the pool).

My question is, how can I safely eradicate them, given that they are so close to water that my family swims in?

I have purchased food grade DE and put it in the expansion joints and around the coping, but after a week it has not really done a whole lot. I am considering a scorched-earth approach, but don't want to contaminate my pool. Any ideas? Wife isn't happy
    30kgal in-ground/steel with vinyl liner, aluminum bullnose coping || 1 H.P. superpump || Polaris P9550 robot|| Hayward 48sq ft DE filter || Taylor K2006 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ants living under pool deck, pushing dirt in and generally being mischevious

I had that a few weeks ago. I sprayed Home Defense in all joints, cracks and the perimeter. Been good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ants living under pool deck, pushing dirt in and generally being mischevious

Amdro ant bait - AMDRO : Home . You need the ants to take the poison back to their nest where the queen lives so that she is killed along with the rest of the hive. It's just like the Aliens movies - if you want to take out the aliens, you have to kill the queen...just don't get caught by a face-hugger....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

This is the stuff you want. It's concentrated and you mix it into a pump sprayer. 7.9 % Bifenthrin Pest Control Multi Insecticide (same as talstar pro & Bifen I/T). I bought a bottle on amazon. This will take out any insect problem that you have.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't know about your ants but I have to ask, were you at the coliseum for 3/28/90 through 3/30/90...because I was.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

6. Back To Top    #6

What you want is something with fipronil. It doesn't move much with water run off and kills the whole colony. I use it sparingly near where I see ants making dirt mounts and in a few days they are 100% gone.

12,000 gallon gunite/plaster/pebbletech, spa with waterfall, sundeck with bubbler. Pentair Easytouch & Screenlogic, Intelliflow VS, SWG, CC150 filter, AquaCal heater, Solaxx PH Tek. Screen covered pool cage, travertine deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

12,000 gallon gunite/plaster/pebbletech, spa with waterfall, sundeck with bubbler. Pentair Easytouch & Screenlogic, Intelliflow VS, SWG, CC150 filter, AquaCal heater, Solaxx PH Tek. Screen covered pool cage, travertine deck.