Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running Above Ground Pool Pipes Underground

1. Back To Top    #1

Running Above Ground Pool Pipes Underground

I leveled out an area in my back yard and have a 12 foot above ground pool ready to go and then realized that I am not supposed to use an extension cord. I was going to have a GFCI plug ran out the the back corner of my back yard, but then I though about running some pvc pipe underground for about 30-40 feet to keep the pump close to the hose and an existing GFCI plug. I was only concerned it I would have any suction problems that would overwork the pump. The pump I have is 1,500 gph and it would be nice to have it away from the pool anyway. It would be a lot cheaper to run pvc myself as opposed to having an electrician run a new circuit from the box and underground too.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Running Above Ground Pool Pipes Underground

Welcome to TFP

you have a little work in front of you..

That 1500 intex pump will not be enough, even if it's 4 feet away, most replace it within a season... you do have a couple choices that should work for you..

3200 GPH, this is the most powerful pump intex makes...
    Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2150 GPH System Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

this pump would be a rock star for what you need and save you money 70GPM/4200GPH but it is a 2 speed pump, way more efficient..
    Amazon.com : Energy Efficient 2 Speed Pump for In-Ground Swimming Pool 0.75 HP-115V : Patio, Lawn Garden

you would need these connections for the pump
    Praher UNION, 1-1/2 SLIP, HIGH TEMP (215-906) - INYOPools.com 1.5 inch to 2 inch pipe
    Praher UNION, 1-1/2 SLIP, HIGH TEMP (150-906) - INYOPools.com 1.5 inch to 1.5 inch pipe

you can change your returns and suction to these and add a skimmer in the pool..
    1-1/2Fpt Thru W/Nut-White-Bagged Individually (400-9170B) - INYOPools.com with the thru wall, you can use 4 of the pump connections above to connect exactly like I did

or you can get the slip type
    1-1/2S W/Nut-Gray-Bagged Individually (400-9157B) - INYOPools.com

Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

I did exactly the same thing you are wanting to do, I just used all in ground equipment as I am going to get one in a few years click my install link below and you can see all the steps and unions I used
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Running Above Ground Pool Pipes Underground

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I talked to a friend yesterday that is into a lot of home construction, and he said it wouldn't be a problem. So I bought 100 feet of 2" pvc and started digging a trench today! I'm half done and the second half should be a little easier.