Need help with levels ...

Jul 22, 2016
L, Oregon
We have an AG pool that is approx 10,000gals. Running a Sand Filter (sta-rite crystal flo) and an intex salt (thing). Running water through four heater mats on most sunny days. Covering with a bubble cover at night.

Problem: pool is greenish

Backstory: intex salt (thing. What's it called?) died and we had to wait a little over a week for a replacement. Before it died we were dealing with high Ph and adding MA. After it died we had to add chlorine 3 times ... A total of 3 gallons. Since the new intex thing arrived, I can't get the levels stable.

I didn't run the filter for a couple of days (1, maybe 2) and then the green appeared. I've been running it constant for 3 full days and flushing every couple of hours.

Today's #s
FC 2
CC .5
TA 50
CYA 20
Salinity 3400ppm

So if I understand it right, my FC is ok, my TA is a little low, my CYA is very low, and my Salinity is right on.

Now what?

Thanks!
Kathleen (I'll get my sig line done soon)

I have the rest kit recommended somewhere on this site with multiple testing options.

I have read the pool school many times, but I'm having a hard time maintaining balance. I feel like I am constantly correcting one thing and then the next.

It sounds like my next step is to add cyanauric acid?

Is my CYA level why my pool is green, tho?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your pool is likely green because it is growing algae. CYA helps maintain a reserve of chlorine in the pool and, the lack of it makes it harder to maintain the proper chlorine amount.

You need to slam to clear the algae then it will start to get easier.

When I read the chart about cya/FC/slam levels, it doesn't say anything about 30 CYA and says 60 isn't recommended. I have a SWG so do I need to increase my CYA to 70ish before I start slamming or can it be done simultaneously?

Also, I feel like this is a silly question, but if I am SLAMing the pool, does that mean no one gets in because the chlorine levels are so high?

In a healthy pool with a SWG you want to maintain a CYA level of 70-80 but if you have to SLAM the pool because you have a green pool which it sounds like is the case for you, you ideally don't want the CYA to be any higher than 30 as you need a higher shock level the higher the CYA, so therefore more chlorine to bring it up to SLAM level, which you need to maintain with regular additions of chlorine.

You can safely swim in your pool up to the SLAM level for your your CYA, as long as you can see the bottom.

As Jezza said, don't increase the CYA until after the SLAM otherwise, it will cost more in bleach.

Once you are done with SLAM, moving the CYA up to recommended levels will make life easier. I was running at 50-60 for a while with mine (I have a SWG) and once I moved up to 70-80, my FC is much more steady.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I added a gallon of bleach and will test again.

More questions:
I do not have a skimmer/sock/filter attached to my inlet. The pool didn't have one attached when we got it, but it does have a blue sort of oval shaped basket looking thing that might be it? The holes are rather large in it tho.

I keep reading about pump gauges, but cannot find one on mine.

Did you use PoolMath to calculate how many ppm of FC a jug of bleach adds to your pool? There is a link to PoolMath at the top of each page. Did a jug bring your FC to 16 ppm? Are you following the SLAM process as shown here, SLAM Process?

Most pool filters have a pressure gauge on them. Does your pool not have a skimmer? What kind of pool do you have? Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here on what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I didn't use pool math, only because I just had to do this a couple weeks ago so I still knew the amount (although after measuring, it may have taken my FC up a little higher than intended)

My pool does not have a skimmer! Crazy. Or it did/does but I don't know where it is/how to use it. If I were to buy one, is there specific types that are better?

I'll work on adding my info to my sig. DH is out of town and I have extra foster kiddos for the weekend. The info is in my op.

Yesterday morning the pool was clear and blue. Last night's FC was 12 so I used pool math and added more chlorine. This morning the FC was 16, the TA was 70 (I run a SWG so is that fine or does it need to be higher since I am supplementing with liquid chlorine?), and the CYA was 25.

So now I just continue to check the levels at least 2-3 times a day until they stay the same and I don't have to add chlorine? And then I slowly let the chlorine level drop back down to 2-4ppm?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.