Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Basic Chlorine Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Basic Chlorine Question

I was a bit negligent in checking my FC level. Today the water was cloudy for the first time. Added the appropriate amount of liquid chlorine to bring the FC level from 0 to 4. Question: Roughly, how long will it generally take for the water to return to clarity in a 2,500 gallon spa with the jets running at a higher speed? Thank you.
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Basic Chlorine Question

If you let the FC drop too low, then you likely allowed algae to start growing and you may need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

The cloudiness if due to the lack of chlorine, not the lack of filtration. Running the filter may never clear it up if algae is reproducing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason. I will check the water tomorrow & will follow your suggestion if the water remains cloudy. Thank you.
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Quick question: Will there be any adverse effect to the auto cover if I leave it in place during the SLAMming process? Thank you.
    Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Don't do that. The SLAM really needs the pool to be open to burn off CC's and the high chlorine certainly will not help your cover.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Dave. I figured that would be the case. Thank you for the confirmation.
    Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

After about 10 hours of of monitoring the FC on an hourly basis & adding liquid chlorine to maintain the SLAM level, the water is again clear. Early this morning I checked the CC (0.5) & the FC which was unchanged from last night. (BTW, my spa is 2,500 gallons). So the SLAM seemed to have done its job.

One follow-up question: At what FC level would it be safe to cover the spa? The current FC level is 14.5. Thank you so much.
    Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I always cover my tub within 5 or 10 minutes of adding more bleach and it is always above 10ppm. I haven't noticed any issues, tub has been installed 3+ years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I always cover my tub within 5 or 10 minutes of adding more bleach and it is always above 10ppm. I haven't noticed any issues, tub has been installed 3+ years.
    I didn't know if a FC level of 14ppm might have an adverse effect on the auto cover (the bloody thing is expensive!). My target FC is 4 - 6ppm. I wanted to cover the spa a.s.a.p. to minimize evaporation & subsequently have to readjust the water chemistry. However, in the meantime with the cover off, the direct sunlight will help to reduce the FC level more quickly. I also turned off the SWG until my target FC level is reached.
    Kit