Help algae and cloudiness

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You still have algae in the water. You need to kill the algae following the TFP "SLAM" page (link below). Follow the instructions on that page and it will work. Make sure you have one of the recommended test kits to test the water properly during the SLAM (TF-100 link below). Nice to have you with us.

I am a first time pool.owner sorry for being confused but what does swg stand for?... My levels are chorline has been a 5+ since I started testing this morning do I still need to add chorline even though it is still high and I don't seem to be losing any?..pH is 7.2....alk is 80 and hardness is 160

SWG is for Salt Water Generator. It converts salt into free chlorine so you don't have to manually add bleach. Is your FC too high? I doubt it, and since you need to do a "SLAM" I can almost guarantee it's not high enough. But to know how high your FC "should" be, we need to know your CYA (stabilizer) level. But you need to test that yourself with one of the recommended test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006). Do not trust pool store testing. It's almost never reliable.

When you have algae and it goes from green to cloudy, the organics are still alive and in there. A simple shock from pool store powders won't do the trick. That's where the "SLAM" comes into play.

Okay, so with a CYA of 40 your SLAM FC level should be "16". You need to use regular liquid bleach to raise and maintain an FC of 16 until you pass the 3 SLAM criterial. I wouldn't worry about any other testing now other than FC and CC. Hope that helps.

Oh, make sure to lower pH to 7.2 BEFORE raising the FC to 12.

Also make sure you are using the appropriate FAS/DPD chlorine test. It sounds like you are using the OTO color scale test because you said your FC is >5. You'll want to make sure to use the FAS/DPD so you can determine exactly how much chlorine is in your water. Also are you using the R-0013 reagent CYA test or something else?

Yes I got the hth 6 way test I will have to get a better test tomorrow ..the water was more clearer today i could see the bottom a little bit..I vacuumed a lot of algae from bottom of pool today and it also took a lot of water out will that affect the slam? The pH was at 7.2 before I vaccumed should I retest before adding the bleach? Sorry so many questions just want to do it right thanks for the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vacuuming to waste might in time lower CYA a little, but nothing to worry about right now. Your pH should still be good. Just make sure to order the proper test kit as soon as you can which will also contain THIS ITEM which you will need to perform the FC testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.