Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whining Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Centerville, Minnesota

Cool Whining Pump

Hi guys,

My pump has become louder in the past 2 weeks, seems to be running hotter, and has a whining sound to it. I'm sure my neighbors are not too happy.
    I'm thinking my pump is bad and I am ready to get something new.
    I'm new to the pool scene, but have read reviews of the Pentair 2VST and the Hayward Eco Star variable pump. Is it worth it to spend money on a good pump? Are these pumps decent? My entire pool is only 3 years old. I just bought the place last fall and we have been using the pool a ton this summer. 117 heat index yesterday and today.

I want the pump to be quieter, efficient and have some sort of timer option on it.

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated!

Stay cool!
    Michael Travis

In-ground 29,160 gallon SWG pool Hayward pump and Swim Clear Filter system- vinyl pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

tucson, arizona

Re: Whining Pump

Without a doubt all brands of variable speed pumps are more efficient, quieter, and have built in timers to set different speeds for different times of day. You can also just replace your motor with a variable speed motor. You may want to consult with a local professional to install new pump. You will not get full warranty if not installed by a professional. Also check with your local utility for possible rebates

3. Back To Top    #3

Marietta, GA

Could be the bearings are going. It might be repairable.

Keep in mind heat and water kills electronics, both of which pool pumps are exposed to a lot of.

I think in the future more people will start enclosing their equipment pads.

I second what kadavis mentioned: Try and get a warranty on the new pump if you go that route.

4. Back To Top    #4

Paradise (Hampstead, NC)

You might check to see if anything is stuck in the impeller.
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100