Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow at bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow at bottom of pool

Hi everyone. Hope summer is going well for all. My pool is crystal clear, but We just noticed a bit of yellow dust in a few spots. I'm assuming it's alge. Not sure what to do at this point since it's Friday and we have a hot weekend coming up here in the northeast and don't want to slam to like Sunday Night. I'm thinking of Putting some DE in my sand filter to help get out what's in there. Am I playing with fire?
    Here are my numbers. Thanks

Ph-7.5
    FC-7
    CC-1
    TC-8
    TA-80
    CYA-30
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yellow at bottom of pool

Because you see something "unknown" at this point and your CC is elevated, I would perform an overnight (OCLT) test just to be safe. Hopefully it's just some dust pr pollen of some type because if you always keep your FC that elevated (with a CYA of 30) it would seem difficult for algae to grow. Still, you never know which is why the OCLT might be a good choice for now. Let us know how it turns out.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Splash. Will do the OCLT test. BTW My wife just told me she just wiped up a bunch of "Yellow Pollen" off the furniture on our screened porch. Hope that's all it is.
    30,000 gal inground, vinyl, Hayward sand filter, 1 hp pump, Well water make up, Raypak heater w/bypass, TF100 testing kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Odds are it is pollen. It should vacuum up for you. You may find yourself needed to vacuum more often until whatever is throwing pollen is finished.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I did the OCLT test last night and had no drop in chlorine. Yahoo! I guess it is the pollen. Wow. If it weren't for this site I'd be driving myself nuts trying to get algae out of the pool. Oh and the DE trick works wonders.
    Thanks for the help.
    Oscar

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Don't forget to brush regularly! It helps!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Pollen in NY in late July?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes that's what thought. I'm thinking it's the giant shrubbery landscaping we have right near the pool and porch.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

The pollen I had in late May/early June tended to bind together and look very fibrous when not vacuumed out right away. It was also on my cover, my car, and all of our patio furniture. When it clumped together in The water , you could easily pick it up with your hands.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!