Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater turning on by itself?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater turning on by itself?

I have a pentair mastertemp 400 for about a year now without any problems. However twice in the past week I come home from work to find the heater on in spa mode. I do not have automation. In order to turn on the heater I have to manually push either pool or spa mode on the unit. I do have a pentair variable speed pump that turns on in the morning and cycles through different speeds for approx 8 hours. I have security cameras and verified that no one touched the heater controls. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater turning on by itself?

Possible a bad board or keypad membrane. Any power issues at the house lately?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

We had some nasty thunderstorms roll through prior to this. Never lost power though. All other electronics in the house seem fine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok it happened again this morning. Turned itself on to spa mode about 2 hours after pump started. Customer service not available until Monday. In the mean time should I just shut the gasline off so it doesn't ignite? Unfortunately the breaker switch also powers the pump so that is not an option.

5. Back To Top    #5

When you say gasoline, are you referring to natural gas or propane... or some type of generator?

This doesn't seem like a heater problem - after all, it is heating in spa mode, correct? I would immediately look at your programming. Perhaps someone made a change or there is an overlapping schedule? It would be best if you could power down the heater rather than just cutting the gas. Pentair support can help if you have a Pentair controller, but I don't believe you have a heater problem.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

6. Back To Top    #6

Natural gas line to the pentair mastertemp. i do not have an external controller or timer to power on the unit, I have to manually turn it on via the keypad on the unit. However, now it is somehow turning itself on. So turning off gasline is not recommended? I suppose I could configure the spa mode to have a max temp lower than the current water temp to avoid it heating the pool unwantedly.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The better thing would be to open the unit up and pull the internal power plug to keep it off. I wouldn't even want it to try and fire.

Inside is a metal box with a screw on the right hand side, unscrew it a bit to get the front door flap to open. Then in the left hand corner is either a red or black plug of looped wires. Pull that and it will keep the unit from getting any power.

It sounds like a bad board.

Yes Pentair can help you some on the heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks I disconnected the plug. I'll update this thread when the issue is resolved.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Sounds like a touchpad/membrane. Try unplugging the touch pad from the board (it's the only ribbon cable connected to the board), and see if that corrects the problem.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

Great idea, I'll try it. In the meantime I am still waiting on the service company to call me for an appointment slot. If they take any longer I'll just replace the keypad myself if it looks like that is the problem. Waiting on them is just not worth my time for such an easy fix.

11. Back To Top    #11

They ended up showing up today with little advanced notice. They only replaced the control board as they didn't have the key pad with them in there truck. Hopefully, it does the trick.

12. Back To Top    #12

Problem still existed with new control board. They got the keypad and returned to install it. Seems that you were right pool clown. Thanks everyone.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a Hayward and exactly the same problem twice this week for the first time ever.

Twice I saw steam rising off the pool. Checking the heater, it was on Spa Mode instead of Standby.

It had heated my pool up to 102 degrees!!! I didn't even know it could go that high.

Anyway, did you figure out what is going on?

Is it a bad board? My heater is several years old now.

My power did go out yesterday for several hours. You think that could be the problem?

Very disturbing since like you I have to physically turn it to Standby or I am paying a much higher electricity cost for no pleasure.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have a PentAir and after Hurricane Harvey came through we have had this same problem. The Heater comes on by itself after about 5 minutes of turning the pool pump on. We had power issues for about a week straight.