Dumping the Sand ..... Filter! Cartridge Here I Come!

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
It's been a few years since I've changed anything, so it was about time.

I got the itch for a cartridge filter and wanted a 2-speed pump anyway, so I figured that I'd just get both.

After some research I ran across the Waterway 200 sqft cartridge filter and 2hp 2-speed pump combo. I looked around several places and Inyo Pools had the best price. I contacted them, asked a few questions, and they responded quickly, and the new pump and filter was on the way. there's not a lot to say about the buying experience because it was so flawless. One thing I will say is that after a few days Patrick emailed me and asked if I'd received the filter and if I needed anything from them. I was impressed.

Since it was a combo pump and filter it was large enough that it had to ship by truck. Since I live in a very rural area truck shipments can be a challenge. It took a few days, but the trucking company finally called to arrange delivery. The driver called and I explained how to get to the house and he promptly told me that he wouldn't deliver there, even though I explained to him that I had 5 acres that he could turn around in. He finally agreed to back down my road (which is ¼ mile long) and deliver the unit, even though I assured him that I had several semi loads of steel delivered and they all turned around in the field. While I would have certainly liked to have seen him try to back down ¼ mile of curvy road with ditches on both sides, I got to feeling sorry for him and called him and told him I'd bring my tractor with forks on it to the nearest gas station (about ½ mile away) and we could unload it there (I needed diesel in the tractor anyway). I did let him sweat a little, because I let him get about 5 miles from the house before I called him.

I have to give the trucking line and the packers of the crate credit. There wasn't a single scratch or dent on the outside of the box when we took it off the truck.

Now it's on the tractor and on the way home. I made it over the dale and through the woods (oh wait, that's another story). Anyway I made it home with it fine.

Now to uninstall the sand filter. Do you know how MUCH a full sand filter weighs??? Good thing I got a tractor! I unhooked the plumbing & electric and removed the pump and filter using wide nylon straps. Lets just say that it went as well as could be expected. It's now sitting in the yard waiting on me to unload all the sand.

Now came time to install the cartridge filter and pump. Come to find out it wasn't nearly as heavy as the bill of lading said it was. I installed the base and then assembled the filter and sat it on the base. I then installed the pump, and low and behold the suction lined up perfectly with the plumbing from the other pump. So I screwed the fitting from the old pump and screwed it into the new pump and made the union up. Then I coupled and tightened the discharge union between the pump and filer.

Now for the return plumbing. Of course the sand filter outlet is at the top of the filter and the cartridge filter outlet is at the bottom. Not to worry. With my trusty vibrasaw and some PVC fittings, I sawed her off and oops, guess where the valve was? Yep in the part I just sawed off! So now water is flowing out the cut off pipe. I had a PVC threaded plug handy so I went to the pool and unscrewed the eyeball fitting and installed the plug. There was only a few inches of water for me to stand in, but I finished rerouting it. And yeah, I installed a new valve. All-in-all it took me about an hour to get the new filter installed.

Now, all proud of myself, I opened the valves, and between the pump and strainer basket was a drip. I got out my trusty channel-lock 460's and tightened it up gently. Still dripping, so I tightened it a little more. Got it down to about a drip a minute and decided to deal with it later. So I hooked up the pump and turned it on. And yes, I did remember to remove the plug from the return fitting. On high there is gusher of water out the return, and even on low there's more flow than I thought there would be.

Now back to that annoying drip. I had let it run for a few hours and I went back out to check it and it was still dripping of course. I decided to shut it down and open up the basket because I saw something odd in it. I stopped the pump, closed the valves and drained the pump basket and opened it up. Guess what I saw? Yep sitting there as pretty as you please, a shiny new union gasket! After I slapped myself in the head, I got out the trusty channel-locks again and unscrewed the union between the pump and basket and sure enough, no gasket. Installed the gasket and hand tightened the union, and opened the valves and low and behold, no leak!

It's been running a week or so and I love it. I run the pump on low 24 hours a day. Yeah I know it's overkill, but it's just as cheap to run it 24 hours a day as it was to the old pump 8 hours a day.

If you've made it to the end, bless your heart, cause that's one long rambling story. Now you know how I got my name! :)

Wow, truck freight, what a pain! It doesn't really look like it's a lot bigger than my EC50 pump combo. Mine just came Fedex. My pool came on Dohrn freight, despite my paying for lift gate service when I ordered it they sent it on a 53' van. Didn't even bother to call, just returned it to the warehouse and the tracking reported that nobody was home. I specifically gave them home, cell and work numbers because I've dealt with truck freight a few times before. My wife had even been home all day working in the front yard.

I called and must have sounded a little annoyed, probably because I was. They apologized repeatedly, especially after I told them if they just would have called I could have directed them to the plant where I work, where I have several forklifts and a loading dock.

The weight was well within the limits of UPS or Fedex, but since they strapped it to a pallet the size was too large. They may have done that in order to protect it during shipping. They may have experienced shipping damage to the boxes, trying to ship it by one of the regular carriers.

I've had many semi's deliver stuff to the house, but this driver was going out of his way to be difficult. Didn't look like this was his first rodeo, if you know what I mean, but you never know a drivers record. On hindsight I should have let him try to back down my road.

Sorry Matt, I didn't take pictures. :(

I have only had a few things delivered by truck and I have to say it has been a horrible experience every time - rude drivers with attitudes, failure to make delivery time windows, unhelpful, etc. And I most certainly do NOT live in a rural area and my house is off a major road and very accessible.

I had one driver refuse to bring a large furniture box (dresser) in through my front door. He was going to drop it on my porch right outside the front door completely blocking it. He said he refuses to go into people's homes so I made him jack the palate back up and bring it to my garage. Since the box had a few holes punched into it, I made him wait out on my driveway while I opened the box up (slowly) and checked for damage. I would not sign the delivery bill until I was sure the dresser was in good condition. It was 95F out that day with blazing sunshine and I made him wait because if he was going to be a rude jerk to me then I wasn't going to make his life any easier.

I hate getting deliveries from companies that contract out with private truck drivers. It's a terrible experience every time as the drivers simply don't care. Luckily I have never had to refuse a delivery because of damages and I can only imagine what nightmare that would be.

Fun times and great story!

The few times we had truck deliveries have been great! The guys all were willing to help this little female unload the stuff right where I needed it........:slidehalo: bats eyes hehe

:kim:

Fun times and great story!

The few times we had truck deliveries have been great! The guys all were willing to help this little female unload the stuff right where I needed it........:slidehalo: bats eyes hehe

Hmmmm....next time wife gets to deal with the delivery trucks....

Matt that works so well so many times in my life! Sugar the voice up and "girl" it up while talking to them on the phone to set it up. Husband is in the same room and has to leave before he laughs out loud and ruins the act! I always let them see me putting the dogs up when they drive up as well. I have BIG dogs LOL that would lick you to death but no one needs to know that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt that works so well so many times in my life! Sugar the voice up and "girl" it up while talking to them on the phone to set it up. Husband is in the same room and has to leave before he laughs out loud and ruins the act! I always let them see me putting the dogs up when they drive up as well. I have BIG dogs LOL that would lick you to death but no one needs to know that!

Ok, new plan -

Give freight companies Kim's phone number and have you set up the delivery. Then I show up at my front door in a dress and lipstick with a teacup chihuahua in a purse...that should work, no?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.