New house old pool from green to clear but using allot of salt.

naimc

Jun 28, 2016
Montreal / Canada
We moved in a house new house like august and the owner gave up on the pool, it was green. I used about 35 pound of 65% granular chlorine in 30 days and the water always agua color. Purchase a new sand filter ( was more than 25 years old) with new sand.

This spring I installed SWG system Agua Rite T15. I started the pool in June only using the SWG system.

My pool has a slow leak so I am keeping the water level lower than the skimmer, I am getting quotes for a full pool renovation, new liner, new pool inground stairway , skimmer, suction and return lines. The pool deck is made of cement interlock blocks that are loose with no cement base. the current deck has to replaced and proper cement desk has be pored. We are going to be spending about 20k this fall.

I understand that with 21K gallon pool my T15 cell over over-sized so I have my salt system set to 30% I run the filter about 8 hours per day. I have solar cover that I keep on the pool when we are not using the pool.

My TFP kit result is a follows.

FC =1.5PPM
CC =0.5PPM
PH = 7.5
TC=2PPM
TA = 130 PPM
CYA = 0 PPM

According to what I have read here my FC levels are two low, they should be higher but my Pool is clear and the solar cover must protecting the FC.

The bottom drain pipe is filtering the pool. I removed the flow fittings to reduce the water pressure as I might have a leak.

My question is, I find that am adding allot of salt, Every two weeks I am adding about 44 lbs of salt to keep my Salt level at around 3000 PPM. I am not adding much water the pool ever since I have kept the water level below the skimmer. I am in Quebec Canada and swimming season is only a 3-4 months I thought I would not adding more than 44 lbs of salt for the entire swimming season not every 2 weeks.

Losing 44 lbs of salt in your pool would mean, theoretically, that you're losing 8% of your pool volume every two weeks. Salt is not consumed by your SWG. The only causes for loss are leaks or splash out. Are you still having to refill often?

It could also be and issue with the SWG sensor for salt. Have you measured the salt concentration using test strips or drop-based kit or are you going only by the SWG reading for salt?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I am only going by the SWG for the reading. ( Are these considered accurate enough ?) What type of salt test kit do you recommend ? I will have the salt level taken by the local pool store.

I might be using 8% every two weeks, its been raining more in the last weeks so that could explain my limited need to add Tap water. I have few potential places for leaks that will fixed this fall
pictures of my pool Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

In order to have an idea of what my base line should be, does this site have an calculators show how much salt is consumed at a given Output level ?

Some notes about my SWG system, As I keep the % of total output low 30%, most of the time I see the system showing a instant salt reading of -00000. I have come to understand that the cell only show instant salinity levels when the unit is under load generating current. Is this the way it's suppose to work ?

I am only going by the SWG for the reading. ( Are these considered accurate enough ?) What type of salt test kit do you recommend ? I will have the salt level taken by the local pool store.

Typically, all you need to worry about is keeping the SWG happy. As long as it doesn't complain about low salt level, no need to worry about testing. However, when you're having an issue with loss of salt it could be an issue with the sensor in the SWG being corroded, so having another source of testing the salt level can help. I would get the salt level tested at the pool store and see if it aligns with your cell. Test strips would be a decent idea to start as well.

In order to have an idea of what my base line should be, does this site have an calculators show how much salt is consumed at a given Output level ?

SWGs DO NOT consume salt. Salt is simply recycled in the process. They use the chloride ion from the dissolved salt to produce chlorine gas. Once that chlorine gas oxidizes something, it becomes a chloride ion again. Other than splash-out or leaks, salt level should be very stable. Your falling salt level reinforces suspicions of a significant leak.

Some notes about my SWG system, As I keep the % of total output low 30%, most of the time I see the system showing a instant salt reading of -00000. I have come to understand that the cell only show instant salinity levels when the unit is under load generating current. Is this the way it's suppose to work ?

Depends on the cell, most only measure salt level when there is flow detected and/or when the cell is operating.

...Jaw drops, as the "SWGs DO NOT consume salt." sink's in. Wow I did not know, nor I did I see any mentioned in any of SWG primers I read.

Oh well at least I know I have to total pool renovation on hand soon and thank fully the salt system has only been in place for two months now as opposed to creating accelerated rust for years.

Yes it tested with the TFP kit, and the 2016 kits contains sample water at 50 ppm of CYA which I used to to make sure I was use the correct testing procedure.
I added some CYA in june, but given my leaks it's all out. I guess the fact that I keep my cover on most of the time explains why my water is clear given my FC is under 2 PPM.
I now understand that I'll need to keep the FC PPM higher when the pool get more usage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.