Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK to use Fernco on pump outlet?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK to use Fernco on pump outlet?

The 2" threaded joint leaving my Hayward SuperPump is leaking badly (suddenly, after 4 years). All PVC is glued from there to filter.

The only way I can see to fix it is to cut the PVC, so I can take out the threaded fitting, check for cracks, clean, lube, and reseat.

Is it acceptable to use a Fernco coupling over the PVC cut? There already are a bunch of glued joints in tight proximity, so it's going to be tough to find a place to splice in another glue union....
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK to use Fernco on pump outlet?

I wouldn't. The rubber fernco will deteriorate and split or slip apart at some point. Guaranteed it will always happen at the wrong time, like when you are sleeping, at work or out of town. These are not good for a pressure application and could cost you a significant amount of your water when it does come apart. If there is enough room to use a fernco, there's probably enough room to glue in a union.

If not, PVC is super easy to work with, just cut the pipe off and replace the whole section to get all those extra joints out of the line. Then add in a PVC union fitting so the pipe does not need to be cut every time you have to take it apart, that's the way it should have been done to start with.

They make a tool that will cut the PVC pipe out of a fitting or to remove a fitting cleanly from a pipe, but because the pipe is so easy to just cut out and replace these tools are expensive and not very common. In select situations they can be a real lifesaver though.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

My suggestion as well would be to get the following union fitting for the pump. It has an o-ring to eliminate leaks and you can take it apart again if needed. It looks as if you have enough vertical pipe to glue to the union fitting.

2in CPVC Pump Union with O-ring

The link I provided is only for reference. I am sure that there are better prices available on the union and while you are there repairing the discharge side, you may as well put one on the suction side as well.
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Opposed to Dsmith's view, I wouldn't have a problem using a Fernco coupling. As long as you understand what could happen, and are willing to assume the risk, go for it. There are probably hundreds of those couplings on pools everywhere. I have one on my plumbing and have had for years. Be sure to check the clamps once in a while.

I know they're not rated for pressure, but pool pumps don't see much pressure anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

After saying all that, I do like the union that Griffths posted. It would be better than the Fernco.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 for Griffiths' find. I'm going to look for a proper union. I just got the leaking MIP-threaded PVC out of there and it turns out it's 1.5" thread with a 2" hub.

And what I can't understand is why it started leaking: There are no visible cracks on either side, and the threads are still caked in pipe dope. It's not like it was a little leak, either. With the pump on it was a steady stream of water through the threads!

I did have the pump running dry earlier this week when another pipe joint failed and I didn't notice it before it drained the pool below the skimmers. I wonder if the Hayward can generate enough heat, or maybe vibration, running dry to open up threads without cracking anything?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dbooksta View Post
    I did have the pump running dry earlier this week when another pipe joint failed and I didn't notice it before it drained the pool below the skimmers. I wonder if the Hayward can generate enough heat, or maybe vibration, running dry to open up threads without cracking anything?
    That is exactly what often happens when a pump is run dry...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    That is exactly what often happens when a pump is run dry...
    Is it a permanent deformation of the PVC, or is it just a loosening that requires application of thread lube and retightening?

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know for sure. When it happened to me at a rent house, I replaced the entire single speed pump with a new VS pump, and I used unions similar to what Griffths recommended above. It is sad for me to see new pumps being installed without unions by cheap pool builders.

I suspect that taking the connection apart, using new thread lube, and retightening would work, but I'll never install another pump without unions.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.