Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help do I leave my faux rock pool unpainted?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help do I leave my faux rock pool unpainted?

I lost sleep last night over my faux rock and pool coping. The rock guy said if I liked grays that he could seal the rock and I wouldn't have to worry about painting. The seal added a shine and it should look more aged with time. I am thinking maybe I should take the sealer off and have them stain it. I am so angry at my self that I allowed him to pressure me into an answer and I think I picked the wrong one. I don't like the look of painted rock it looks fake so I thought his idea of sealing it without paint was better. . Is staining better? Can I fix this without a lot of money? Can I buy a sealer remover or just wait with time and let the sealer get weak? Has anyone ever heard of not painting faux rock? I hope I'm not a big fool. Other people have done this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help do I leave my faux rock pool unpainted?

A picture would be helpful so we can see what you are working with.

Have you seen any pictures of faux rocks you like? Share those as well.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't see how to insert a picture. Have you seen people not paint their faux rocks? Just want to make sure they are not tying to get out of painting.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

I need to make a decision today to fight with them and pay more money to paint the rocks. Anyone ever heard of faux rocks not being painted?

5. Back To Top    #5

It really does not matter what other people do or do not do at the end of the day. Do you like it? THAT is all that matters.

If they do not want to paint it and you make them............I would worry about their attention to detail. The painting is best done by someone who knows what they are doing. It is really like art work. Before they do the whole thing I would ask them to show you a throw away rock painted to see if you like it.

I LOVE your pool! That is HUGE! What plaster are you doing?

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure yet. I guess I would feel better if this is was not unusual. No one has ever seen one. I me trying to find pictures of a gray rock pool with no luck.

7. Back To Top    #7

We haven't had a lot of pools like that. It seems like they are stained, but I don't remember for sure. Stained or painted concrete is a maintenance item that needs to be redone periodically. But, as Kim says, it is your pool, your money and you should do what you want. I wouldn't let them pressure you into a decision before you are ready to make it either.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach