A few questions

SamirP

Jun 22, 2016
Leander, TX
Our brand new pool has been up and running for around a month now. Things are going well (as far as I can tell). I'm testing and skimming daily, and running the pump around 4-6 hours per day.The water is clear, chemical levels seems to be in range and holding steady:
pH - 7.8
TC- 3 to 5 ppm
TA - 80
CYA - 50

Questions:
1. Its crazy hot and sunny right now in Texas, and the TC seems to drop around 2-3 ppm over a 24 hour period (less than 1ppm drop overnight). From reading around in the forums here that seems to be fairly normal, but I wanted to check with you all and confirm.
2. I'm currently using store brand bleach (8.25%), at around $2.94 per bottle. I've seen references to folks getting 5 gallon containers of bleach. Where do you all find those? I've called local pool stores and janitorial supply stores but no dice. What kind of store would have that kind of thing for cheap?
3. How often do you all vacuum the pool? Is this a daily, weekly or as needed thing?

Thanks for the awesome resource that is this website and community!!

Yes, it's toasty outside today. To help with your questions:
1 - TC = FC + CC. So we really need to see your FC and CC readings from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Which one do you use if either?
2 - I think bulk bleach is all dependent upon local availability. I can't help you there. I'm still using regular Bravo from HEB. :)
3 - I would ideally vacuum (manually) weekly. But I'm lazy and I don't. Others who use a robot or other automated cleaner may have theirs running almost a little each day which is why they are so popular.

2-3 ppm loss per day is normal for a pool, especially in Texas. You could also try bumping the CYA to 60 in your region.

Perhaps someone more local will be able to provide some insight on 5 gallon, refillable containers in your area.

I don't vacuum at all. I have a robot that does my vacuuming for me. I would just vacuum as needed. For sure you should be brushing the entire pool at least once per week.

1. Its crazy hot and sunny right now in Texas, and the TC seems to drop around 2-3 ppm over a 24 hour period (less than 1ppm drop overnight). From reading around in the forums here that seems to be fairly normal, but I wanted to check with you all and confirm.

That is consistent with what I am seeing in SC and it is hot and sunny here too. Full sun all day and I will lose 2 - 3 depending on bather load.

2. I'm currently using store brand bleach (8.25%), at around $2.94 per bottle. I've seen references to folks getting 5 gallon containers of bleach. Where do you all find those? I've called local pool stores and janitorial supply stores but no dice. What kind of store would have that kind of thing for cheap?

I Cant find it around my part of the world either, stuck with Generic Walmart Bleach

3. How often do you all vacuum the pool? Is this a daily, weekly or as needed thing?
Depends on you and the pool. I have had really good success on running my pump on low during the day and that has really kept the bottom of the pool clean, so I just vacuum once a week. Depends on what you can tolerate too, with the pool so clear if it got very dirty during the week, I would vacuum.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Various answers and notes:
- I've got the TF-100 kit, but I'm at work so I was posting the numbers from memory. I can post more exact numbers tonight when I get home.
- Bravo bleach from HEB is what I use, too!!
- I'll try bumping the CYA to 60.
- I haven't been brushing the pool at all. I'll start doing that and a weekly vacuum, just to make sure things keep going in the right direction.

Thanks all!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.