Can't make sense of this problem

Sep 2, 2010
I have a 16000 gal non-SWG pool/spa compbo with a 3 hp pump, sand filter and a Kreepy Krawly. I live in Arizona, so am dealing with continuous hot weather, often 105 F day and 90 F at night. I have been reading the forums for a while, and switched over to using bleach only in April of this year after I had to drain the pool due to very high (130) CYA readings. I started the season with a CYA reading of about 30, and added stabilizer to bring it up to 50, where it has remained.

Problem is this--the pool does not hold CL. I start my weekly maintenance cycle by backwashing and then adding 2 gal of 10% CL. At the same time I add 6-3" pucks of di-chlor to floaters. The initial 2 gallon dose of CLThis put CL above my test kit limit. When I add 1 gal 10%CL TC rises to about 4ppm. However, even with the 2 gal add (and the pucks) the CL drops to an un-readable level within 12 hours. So, I end up adding a half gallon of 10% CL every day, which gives me enough CL to get through a day, but the next AM I am back to zero. The only other chemical change I detect is that Ph drops quickly, so I am adding Ph Up or a similar product at least once a week.

I have a pool guy who comes and does chemicals and cleaning while I am away for parts of the Summer. He has started adding 3 more pucks, into one of the skimmer baskets, for a total of 9, but he cant get the CL to hold either..

I do get a lot of organic matter in the pool, but skim it regularly, and the Kreepy does a good job of cleaning the bottom. I test for phosphates, and am usually around 100. Any higher and I add PhosFree as directed.

Needless to say, in this heat I get green algae regularly. I hand scrub the irregular areas of the landscaping where algae hides, and brush the entier pool before using algaecide as directed (usually Yellow Gone, 2 lbs, followed by a CL shock), run the pump 24 hours, vaccum and backwash, and the pool clears right up.

I've read everything I can find, but I cant get my hands around this, despite spending a King's ransom on pool chemicals. Can anyone suggest why I can't get the pool to hold CL? I must be missing something. My pool guy Patio Pool and Leslie's have no answers. Thanks to all.

Absolutely purchase the TF-100 with XL option and speedstir. This will be the best investment you will ever make in your pool. Do this right away and you should receive it within a few days.

Once you have that, the people here will take you through what you need to do step by step to fix your problem and prevent it recurring.

In the meantime, stay out of the pool store, stop adding pucks, especially to the skimmer, and add a jug of 8.25% Clorox to your pool every day.

Absolutely purchase the TF-100 with XL option and speedstir. This will be the best investment you will ever make in your pool. Do this right away and you should receive it within a few days.

Once you have that, the people here will take you through what you need to do step by step to fix your problem and prevent it recurring.

In the meantime, stay out of the pool store, stop adding pucks, especially to the skimmer, and add a jug of 8.25% Clorox to your pool every day.

Thanks to all responders. I will purchase the TF 100 w/XL option and Speedstir, whatever that is. I'll get the kit and start using it,and then post again with issues/progress. Just to clarify, despite all these pucks for about 6 weeks now, my CYA is NOT going up perceptibly. And I get it about the pool stores. I only go there to have them test to compare to my own testing, which is, I admit, done with a basic Taylor test kit.

SO, one question In the meanwhile: given what I have described doing, what is it that pushes down pH quickly? That didn't used to happen.

Hi, welcome to TFP! The Yellow Gone actually adds an ammonia compound to the pool which greatly increases chlorine demand. Stop using it. Algaecide also will increase chlorine demand. The pool store is instructing you to use it improperly. Algaecides do not kill algae, they are meant to provide a little extra protection to prevent algae when chlorine levels are low. You should complete the SLAM Process process to oxidize these unwanted chemicals and algae in your pool. After the slam process is completed we can look at maintaining a clear pool. For more information on pool chemistry read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.