Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Motor Cap

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Motor Cap

I have a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump that I purchased in May. Last week I noticed that on the top of the rear of the pump there is a threaded cap that has popped off and got lost in my lawn. The cap appears to give you access to the motor. When I called Hayward I was advised to contact the motor company Century because these things pop off all the time and they would be able to replace it. So far I have not had any luck with contacting Century. Anyone ever have this problem and know where I can get a replacement cap?

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Motor Cap

Hello and welcome to TFP! It's been a few days since you posted and it looks like no one has been able to help you. Figured it was time to give your post a quick "bump" for some more visibility. Reply back as needed to keep us updated or inquire again. Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Electrical department at Lowes or Homedepot might have them if your lucky to get an associate familiar with electric conduit fittings.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW, Iowa

Those in the link are hoffman knockout covers designed to plug a knockout hole in thin metal like a breaker panel. The motor has a thicker aluminum casting where the plug fits, it would be a difficult place to install one and will require removing the end cap. These plugs have a wing nut and I'm not sure it would fit in the space. While it might work, a metal threaded plug would be much easier. These type plugs usually have a square, or hex (allen wrench) head, half inch is the size you need. One of these will tighten and stay much better than the plastic junk they put in there from the factory.

Incidentally I also have this same pump, about 2 months old. I was just about to go shut my pump off anyway so I took a look at it. My plug appeared to be deep down inside the hole. Much further than the side plug. I came back in and got a screwdriver. As soon as I touched it, the plug fell inside the motor!

It could catch and tear up the armature, or it looks like the motor may have brushes too, so the commutator and brush holders could be damaged by this thing floating around in there. I took the plastic back cover off and was able to use a zip tie to push it, the plug fell all the way to the bottom and fished it out. I pinched the plastic plug threads with some pliers to damage the threads a bit, then threaded it back in and it tightened up as it got flush. It would probably stay now, but I'm going to find a couple metal plugs tomorrow and fix it right. With a little thread sealer it will probably outlast the motor.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day
    Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP2 timer on 2.5 hr/day
    Taylor K-2600 test kit