Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Let the flow switch do the control or put it on the timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Let the flow switch do the control or put it on the timer?

the RJ45 instruction say that if using a VS pump, it's possible to let the flow switch turn the SWG on and off. But I also read somewhere that say not to do this...

My pump run on various speed/hours between 11am to 10pm. @ 2k, 2.4k and 3k rpm. I can set the timer for the SWG to turn on and off between these hours. But I'm trying to avoid having to mess with changing the pump schedule.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Let the flow switch do the control or put it on the timer?

I've read here that the timer is the way to go, as its bad on the cell to have it on without a flow, could in some cases even explode. Wasn't a decision I had to make, as my VS pump won't control SWG, so I set the timer and pump to run at same times, to avoid any issues. Pump is 'hot' all the time so I can run the pump for cleaning by itself, without SWG, but not vice-versa
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test

3. Back To Top    #3

what's the min flow rate that's required for the SWG to work properly? perhaps I can turn the SWG by the timer only during the time of the appropriate speeds.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

4. Back To Top    #4

What SWG do you have? I think the Hayward requires about 15GPM, but there is no way to easily know the flow rate you achieve at a given RPM without a flow meter. Just see what speed is required to keep the SWG happy and bump up the speed a bit to account for the filter getting dirty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I got a Circupool RJ45... that's a good idea, I'll just get everything hooked up and play with the speed until it turn off and on.
    SF Bay

6. Back To Top    #6

beside the flow direction, does it matter the position of the switch? Can it be installed side way instead of putting up?
    SF Bay

7. Back To Top    #7

The instructions show that the wire connection should be on top, unless it is installed vertically (ref:Circupool Salt Chlorine Generator Help) Whether that is so the flow switch isn't fooled by an insufficient flow or not isn't revealed.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100