Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Forum: Cloudy pool only after kids swim even after SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Forum: Cloudy pool only after kids swim even after SLAM

Hello,

First off, thanks so much for this site. I received my TK-2006 test kit a week ago and performed my first SLAM due to CC at 1. We passed the overnight chlorine test, no CC, and my water is crystal clear. HOWEVER, when the kids are being crazy jumping and splashing in the pool it gets cloudy--almost like they are stirring up a fine dust. It clears up to crystal clear overnight with the pump running, but it frustrates me when we have people over and I see it getting cloudy while they are there. Filter pressure still good and cartridges replaced last year. Any thoughts? Here are my numbers:

FC 16 (we are coming off the SLAM) so targeting 8
    CC 0
    CYA 65
    PH 7.8
    Alk 120
    Calcium Harness 100

Thanks,
    ACN
    35,000 gallon IG, gunite, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Filter (cartridge), Zodiac FloPro pump model FHPM, , spa, polaris 380 pool cleaner, Built 1990

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Forum: Cloudy pool only after kids swim even after SLAM

I should probably mention that our pool is at the edge of the woods. Beautiful setting, but messy with constant tree debris dropping into pool

3. Back To Top    #3

My calcium hardness rates are very low--could this cause this?

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had the same thing happen but only after a very large and extended swimming party. One option would be to bump up FC a few ppm before you swim but i wouldn't expect to have to do that everytime. Are the kiddos wearing a lot of sunscreen?
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

The free chlorine is already quite high due to the slam so I'm not sure the chlorine level is the issue. They did spray down with sunscreen (water resistant variety for wet skin), but only 4 kids in a 35,000 gallon pool for 2 hours. All kids had showered 😉

6. Back To Top    #6

You may have sediment laying on the bottom that gets stirred up with activity.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

May be plaster dust or other sediment that didn't get picked up from the vacuum.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    May be plaster dust or other sediment that didn't get picked up from the vacuum.
    Ok....thanks....I will continue to vacuum and see if I can get it cleared up. Any thoughts on the calcium? Should I adjust this or just leave it alone?
    ACN
    35,000 gallon IG, gunite, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Filter (cartridge), Zodiac FloPro pump model FHPM, , spa, polaris 380 pool cleaner, Built 1990

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not sure what test kit you are using but my fill water CH in Naperville is usually around 150ppm. I bring it up to 250ppm every spring. Not sure but maybe the cloudy water is from the calcium getting pulled from the plaster trying to get balanced?
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks--I'm going to give it a shot. Where do you get your calcium chloride? Leslie's? I tried Home Depot today with no luck. We are on a deep well and I am using the recommended Taylor kit 2006.

11. Back To Top    #11

I buy like 25 lbs that I split for two years for my pool. I think I used In The Swim online last time. They are out of West Chcago and usually ship within a day. Look for a free shipping coupon if you go that route.

12. Back To Top    #12

Sometimes it's worth a call to the warehouse. They have "dings and dents" (from returns) that can save you bucks.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks! I'll vacuum and order calcium today. I appreciate everyone's help. Did another over night chlorine test last night and didn't lose a bit, so feeling confident it isn't a chlorine issue.

14. Back To Top    #14

I bought my calcium via Amazon.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.