Did overnight test...no FC loss overnight but...

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
during the day I lose at least half most of the time more. No CCs registering. CYA is at about 40...I say about because when I did my CYA test it came in just below 40. My pool gets direct sunlight and I don't put the solar cover on every day. I like to look at my sparkly pool water not a cover. Anyway should I up my CYA to about 50?

FC 6.5
CC 0
TC 6.5
pH 7.5
TA 100
CH 130
CYA <40 but >30

Yes. I have a full sun pool as well and found 30-40ppm CYA to be a little low for me.

I am somewhere around 50ppm CYA now and I have observed a significant reduction in chlorine loss.

If you decide to do it, the forum would be very interested in the results.

dave,
Thanks for the advice, earlier in the spring when I had the solar cover on my chlorine held at around 5 I would add about once a week if that. I know that there are different opinions on what method to introduce CYA to the pool. I thought that I would try putting a pound or pound and a half of CYA into a sock and float it in a floater...Have you tried that. The reason I don't want to put it in my skimmer is that I am still getting a full basket of Maple seed whirlies in my skimmer basket each day...So I thought I would try that. Any thouhts

Morning Pool Boy :mrgreen: !

Tie it off by the return....it will dissolve faster that way - leave the pump running and the flow of water will help it dissolve. Putting the sock in the floater - it will dissolve very slowly....

I did it last week - I started out with 2lbs in the sock in the skimmer and it dissolved too slow, barely at all in 24 hours - I realized it's cause the pump's on low. I moved it over to the return, tied it off, and it was all gone by the next day.

I tried skimmer socks for the first time yesterday. Holy Smokes, those things catch stuff I didn't even know was in the water. Was disgusting....

duraleigh said:
Yes. I have a full sun pool as well and found 30-40ppm CYA to be a little low for me.

I am somewhere around 50ppm CYA now and I have observed a significant reduction in chlorine loss.

If you decide to do it, the forum would be very interested in the results.

Dave, I am in the same situation as you. My pool rec. FULL, HOT sun for about 85% of the day.

I currently lose 2 to 2.5 ppm of chlorine a day. My current CYA level is 40.

Is it worth it to try a CYA level of 50?

How much was your "significant reduction" in chlorine loss???

Pls. advise. Thanks, Mike

frustratedpoolmom said:
Morning Pool Boy :mrgreen: !

Tie it off by the return....it will dissolve faster that way - leave the pump running and the flow of water will help it dissolve. Putting the sock in the floater - it will dissolve very slowly....

I did it last week - I started out with 2lbs in the sock in the skimmer and it dissolved too slow, barely at all in 24 hours - I realized it's cause the pump's on low. I moved it over to the return, tied it off, and it was all gone by the next day.

I tried skimmer socks for the first time yesterday. Holy Smokes, those things catch stuff I didn't even know was in the water. Was disgusting....

Hey...
I'll give that a try...yeah...I should be running with skimmer socks too...I noticed lots of pollen on the surface...I think I'll go get a box...

How much was your "significant reduction" in chlorine loss???
Hi, Mike,

I am embarrassed to say I do not keep very accurate records anymore. I am using liquid chlorine and the liquidator and I fill it 5 gallons at a time.

I know I was losing about 2.5-3ppm daily when I was at 40ppm CYA (perhaps 30-40) Now that I am at a solid 50ppm, I believe my FC loss averages about 2ppm daily......perhaps a little less but I'd chalk that up to wishful thinking. :lol:

Thanks, Dave.

I am going to think about raising the CYA level a bit before I do it. High CYA is what got me into this mess in the first place!!! Been using BBB for a month now( using 12.5% CL), and the pool is absolutely beautiful!!! Test it once a day, add sanitizer, and done!!! Holds pretty perfect balance everyday, just minor daily adjustments. Last nights numbers:

FC=3.5 (I target 5.5, and consistently lose 2 ppm a day)
CC=0
PH=7.6
TA=90
CH=300
CYA= about 40
Temp=84F

BBB WORKS!!!! :goodjob:

PS- thanks also for the quick shipment on the DPD powder last week. Got it Thurs., all is well :mrgreen: !!!

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We're sorta' hijacking CB's thread here but those are very, very nice numbers with pool water to match. I wouldn't change much for now.....If it ain't broke...... :lol:

(Actually, I heard a version of that that frequently applies to me, "If it ain't broke, keep fixin' it until it is! :shock: )

Don't count on this raising the CYA level by the full amount right away. CYA can still take a while to fully dissolve and register on the test even if your pre "dissolve" it.

Break out a bottle of POP (pool owner patience) and add CYA the normal way and wait the full week. It really won't hurt anything doing it that way and it is much less work for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.