Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool; Brownish/Green Water

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool; Brownish/Green Water

We purchased an Intex 20' x 48" pool. Had the fire department fill. We knew that we would have to use an Iron out type product. Filled saturday, used the iron out the same day, the following day the hubby put some shock and I think alkaline decrease and it went from a brownish color to murcky brown/green. I have cleaned the filter every few hours since this. We are finally to a clear water but it still has a brown/green hue to it. I have vacuumed so many times I cannot count. We have not put any other chemicals in at this time other than another bottle of iron out. Tomorrow will be one week and I feel like it should be more clear. Any advice?? pictures below...from test strip: (MY OPINION) total hardness (close to 250) PH: High 8.4ish Alkalinity: 180-240Chlorine: Very low
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool; Brownish/Green Water

You'll save time and money using a recommended test kit. As you noted you've made some rust. Is the filter picking up color (red/brown)?
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm...When you say recommended test kit? This is what the pool place sold to me. Yes, the filter is picking up the redish/brown color. I am cleaning the filter every 1-2 hours other than through the night.
    SJG4
    20' x 48" Intex pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Test strips are not very accurate. We recommend an FAS/DPD testing kit such as a Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 .

You need to use a sequestrant such as Jack's Magic, or Metal Free to keep the iron in solution so it doesn't discolor the water or stain your pool. Sequestrants need to be added weekly as they are broken down by chlorine. The also need to be added anytime you top off the pool with well water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You also need to be adding chlorine to your pool daily. Not shock products, just regular chlorine bleach from the laundry aisle. The PoolMath link at the top of the page will help you calculate how much to add.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

We had tremendous results with the 5 gallon polyfill bucket filter. At first glance it sounds foolish, but it filtered our pool to crystal clear in 36 hours. When we started we couldn't even see the first rung on the ladder. Now our paper filter doesn't turn brown at all from iron.

1st time pool owner: 16x48 Intex Ultraframe, 5061 gallons, intex SWG, 1500 gph cartridge filter (635T) , Gorilla pad, SP1091LX Hayward skimmer, K2006 and K1766 test kits, high iron well water, Poolmate Metal out, 5 gallon bucket/polyfill filter