Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: setting eyeball on returns

1. Back To Top    #1

eastern washington state

setting eyeball on returns

I was wondering whats the proper way to set your returns..(eyeballs) up with the water rippling or down. I know if your trying to lower the TA you want them up for air to raise the ph back up... but was wondering for normal use..
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: setting eyeball on returns

For normal use you want to adjust you returns for the best possible circulation and to move debris floating on the surface around to the skimmer(s). Generally that means that you want the water to circulate around the pool in a circle (complex pool shapes may require more complex patterns). If you don't have a bottom drain, then at least one return should be aimed down to the bottom of the deep end. If you have lots and lots of returns, some of them often serve special purposes, such as keeping steps clean.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: setting eyeball on returns

Alot of those suction type vacuums work best with the eyeballs pointed down. It makes a big difference with mine. So if your vac's erratic point DOWN.
    25,000 gallon....36x18....inground vinyl....hayward 1 1/2 h.p. pump.....pentair de filter