Hi everyone!

fisH2o

Jul 21, 2016
Corpus Christi, TX
Howdy!

Been battling my pool since we moved into our current house almost 2 years ago. From vacuuming multiple times a week to having the guy at the pool store convince my wife to dump 100s of $ worth of shock, algecide, clarifier, etc. into the pool while I am at work. I am ready for a TFP!

So glad that I found this site! Just from reading for the last couple days I can see the logic and have learned more than the whole month we paid a pool guy. I knew there had to be a better, more logical way so that my family and I could really enjoy our pool during the South Texas summers. I ordered my TF-100 test kit and just received it today. Here are the initial results and what I have done so far and plan to do. Any and all help is appreciated.

Initial TF-100 Test

• FC = 1
  • CC = 0.5
  • PH = 8.3
  • TA = 90
  • CH = 575
  • CYA = 90

I just finished putting in about 400ml of muriatic acid to lower the pH. I am planning to start the SLAM tomorrow if that balances out.
Hopefully I can ascend from the murky green depths to a sparkling blue oasis!

Thanks for reading and thanks to TFP for all the great info and knowledge.

Welcome to TFP!

Good plan to lower PH, it is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times. Do you plan to SLAM with CYA at 90? Or drain some first? 50-60 is a better CYA number for you longer term. And your CH is on the high side.

You can add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

"30"? That's a big difference. If so, then your new SLAM FC level is "12". If you have ANY doubt about the CYA though, double-check it. Everything you do with chlorine levels hinges on that CYA.

Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Good luck, and have a nice weekend. PS ~ Don't forget to ensure pH is adjusted down to 7.2 BEFORE starting the SLAM and increasing FC to 12.

Ya I accidentally typed the TA number for the CYA.
I will definitely redo the CYA test again today though. I did it at night with just a porch light so I could be way off. The last time we got the water tested at the store they said we had 0 CYA.

Thanks for the help! I will be having fun with chemistry this weekend haha