How to fix a sand filter cap leak

Jul 21, 2016
mesa az
Good evening all, new to the group but here goes;
I have a Triton II (I believe TR100) sand filter. I had a leak on the filter cap so i removed the cap and replaced the rubber gasket. (The filter is about 10 years old). I lubed the new gasket up and replaced the cap but i still have leaks in about 3-4 places. The leaks are not shooting out just running down the side. No cracks in the cap that i can see. Its almost like I need to run a bead of silicone around the outside of the cap to get it from leaking. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Sometimes filters will develop very fine cracks that don't show up until the vessel is under pressure. Another possibility is the threads on the vessel are worn, if that is the case you can try 3 wraps of teflon plumber's tape on the threads and then screw the cap back on.

Marco01 - Did the teflon tape work for you?
We just developed the same problem with our sand filter, but can see the tiny crack in the housing. Was wondering if a JDWeld type of fix might work to "plug" the leak. So I am also interested in this thread for any fix that might work. I'm afraid I will have to replace the whole filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.