New House with an Out of Wack Pool

Jul 18, 2016
Sacramento, CA
Hello all,

We just bought a house with a pool from the early 80's. For the first couple of weeks we have had our water tested at the pool store and the general results were that we could never keep chlorine in the pool, it was always at 0. The only response they had was that our nitrate level of 30 was to blame. They had us using the floating chlorine dispenser with chlorine tabs and even had us add 3 bags of Chlor-brite and come test the next day and the results were still 0. I started doing my own research and realized these chemicals are not the most ideal to use in our pool so I decided I would take things into my own hands. I've read through the pool school a few times so I have a general understanding of the path forward, but any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated. I bought the TF-100 kit and did my first test tonight. Below are my results.

FC- 0
CC - 0 - 0.5
TC- 0 - 0.5
CH - 500
TA- 100
CYA - 80
PH - 7.2

Is draining some of the pool going to be the best place to start in order to get the CYA level down? We are starting to see a slight amount of algae, mainly on the stairs.

THANKS!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.