Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New House with an Out of Wack Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New House with an Out of Wack Pool

Hello all,

We just bought a house with a pool from the early 80's. For the first couple of weeks we have had our water tested at the pool store and the general results were that we could never keep chlorine in the pool, it was always at 0. The only response they had was that our nitrate level of 30 was to blame. They had us using the floating chlorine dispenser with chlorine tabs and even had us add 3 bags of Chlor-brite and come test the next day and the results were still 0. I started doing my own research and realized these chemicals are not the most ideal to use in our pool so I decided I would take things into my own hands. I've read through the pool school a few times so I have a general understanding of the path forward, but any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated. I bought the TF-100 kit and did my first test tonight. Below are my results.

FC- 0
    CC - 0 - 0.5
    TC- 0 - 0.5
    CH - 500
    TA- 100
    CYA - 80
    PH - 7.2

Is draining some of the pool going to be the best place to start in order to get the CYA level down? We are starting to see a slight amount of algae, mainly on the stairs.

THANKS!
    - 12,000 gallon IG with Spa, Pebble Tech
    - STA-RITE Model: S7M120 Filter
    - Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner
    - TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New House with an Out of Wack Pool

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes, you should drain about 50% of your water and refill. Use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to get a better estimate of how much to drain. That will also help lower the CH level, which is a bit high.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for all of the help!

After the drain and refill/retest will adjusting the chlorine level (SLAM) be the first step? Once the chlorine level is stable should I retest and then post the results and go from there?
    - 12,000 gallon IG with Spa, Pebble Tech
    - STA-RITE Model: S7M120 Filter
    - Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner
    - TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, as soon as it is full lower PH to 7.2, test CYA so you know your shock level and SLAM. Follow all the steps, the more diligent you are testing, adding and brushing the faster it will go.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach