Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not keeping ph?

1. Back To Top    #1

Not keeping ph?

Wondering how normal my ph situation is:

I have not needed a drop of acid. I do however need borax like clock work. Although i replenish splash out/ evaporation with acidic well water, even at times of no rain, and not refilling my ph stedy drops? I do understand chlorine drops it but is my situation normal?

Feel like i put 1/8 box in every other day. Think im on my 5th box by now. It also seams the pool will hold a 7.2 pretty well, but when i get it up to 7.5-7.8 it drops almost by next day.

Wondering if its normal or something im doing wrong?

Ta-140
    Fc-3-6
    Cya-50ish

Proper test kit coming tomorrow. (k2006)
    18x36 rectangle built early 90's, 9ft well, "black onyx" vinyl liner, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2 returns, 1 skim, 1 drain/return, plumbed chloranter, 48sf de filter, multi port valve, and 1.5hp jandy pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not keeping ph?

Let's wait and see what the "proper" test kit tells you. pH drooping pools are a rare bird.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Not all chlorine lowers the pH.

How are you chlorinating your pool? If you are using acidic trichlor tablets or dichlor powder, then that is certainly going to drive your pH and TA down.
    Most TFPers use bleach, which is pH neutral or SWGs which tend to drive the pH up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

So since switching to bleach pH has been climbing. Today I picked up some muriatic acid.

The pool is at 7.7 but I'm about 2" low on water. My well water is 6.5 so will see if I need to add any acid once it's topped off. (I target 7.4-7.5)

So I think it's safe to say chlorine tabs were to blame.

I'm thinking with splash out and evaporation I could use tabs to generate like .5 ppm fc or so and the rest bleach. With a watchful eye on cya ta and pH. Kinda trying to keep a perfect pH with just how I get my fc. Sounds good in theory?
    18x36 rectangle built early 90's, 9ft well, "black onyx" vinyl liner, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2 returns, 1 skim, 1 drain/return, plumbed chloranter, 48sf de filter, multi port valve, and 1.5hp jandy pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Why are you targeting 7.4? Your water is telling you that's not where it wants to be. By trying to target an artificial pH value you will use more acid. It is far better to simply lower TA until your pH stabilizes and just let the pH be where it wants to be. Pool water for most will always have rising pH so you should only seek to minimize the rate of rise as opposed to targeting a specific pH.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates