I did some calculations based on current chlorine pricing...Leslie's is a good deal?

Nov 2, 2015
San Diego, CA
With the recent Walmart rollback rollback of the $2.50 10% chlorine I decided to do some calculations using current prices. I have come to the conclusion that Leslie's Pool 12.5% is the best deal. I am in no way affiliated with Leslie's. I just want the best bang for my buck.

Here are my calculations...if my logic is flawed, i'd like the feedback.

Current prices:
8.25% $3.09 Walmart 121 fl oz
10.0% $3.43 HD/Lowe's 1 Gal
12.5% $4.50 Leslie's (sold in two pack) 1 Gal

To increase 15,000G pool 1 ppm according to Pool Pal
8.25% it takes 23 fl oz (5.26 ppm/bottle)
10.0% it takes 19 fl oz (6.74 ppm/bottle)
12.5% it takes 15 fl oz (8.53 ppm/bottle)

so if I had to raise my pool 1ppm per day i would go through
@ 8.25% 1.3 bottles per week roughly
@ 10.0% 1.0 bottles per week roughly
@ 12.5% .82 bottles per week roughly

Cost per month assuming 4 weeks in a month
$16.07 for 8.25%
$13.72 for 10.0%
$13.44 for 12.5% (WINNER)

So is this right? All bets are off if Walmart sells for $2.50 again.

Chris

The higher concentrations will tend to degrade faster so although they say it is 12.5%, it may not be that by the time you get to use it. Especially since some places stock outdoors in the heat.

. . .

Current prices:
8.25% $3.09 Walmart 121 fl oz
10.0% $3.43 HD/Lowe's 1 Gal
12.5% $4.50 Leslie's (sold in two pack) 1 Gal

. . .

So is this right? All bets are off if Walmart sells for $2.50 again.

Chris

Try this handy online tool; its results:

Walmart = $0.310/oz 100% chlorine
Lowe's = $0.268
Leslie's, = $0.281

Walmart at $2.50 = $0.250

Trivia: My pool consumes just over 3 ppm/day or 5.3 oz 100% chlorine/day. So the spread of $0.06/oz (0.31 - 0.25) yields a price swing of about $0.32/day or about <$10.00/month.

I am paying $3.59 per 128 oz gal. of HASA 12.5%, which is always fresh and stronger 14% estimate based on use & Pool Math

I purchase a 4/Case at a local pool store 5 minutes from house, easy in easy out...round trip about 10-15 minutes, so I am happy to do so and maybe pay a bit more and never a worry.

The bleach i'm getting at my local Leslies recently says it is 10%, but it's not a Leslies brand. They charge $8.99 for 2 gallons.

A while ago I got some 10% pool bleach (different brand) at Home Depot for less money, and used it right away, and found it was very weak. I put in enough to add 2 ppm of FC, and a couple hours later there was no change. They store the 2-pack boxes of chlorine in their outside area in a spot where it gets full sun all afternoon. I don't know how old it was when I bought it, but I recently learned that there is a 5 digit code stamped on the boxes of chlorine bottles. The first 2 digits are the year it was produced and the next three digits are the day of the year. Next time I go to HD, I will look at the boxes to see how old they are (out of curiosity), but I won't buy them as long as they are stored in the sun. The bottles I bought at Leslies recently were only 32 days old.

The bleach i'm getting at my local Leslies recently says it is 10%, but it's not a Leslies brand. They charge $8.99 for 2 gallons.

A while ago I got some 10% pool bleach (different brand) at Home Depot for less money, and used it right away, and found it was very weak. I put in enough to add 2 ppm of FC, and a couple hours later there was no change. They store the 2-pack boxes of chlorine in their outside area in a spot where it gets full sun all afternoon. I don't know how old it was when I bought it, but I recently learned that there is a 5 digit code stamped on the boxes of chlorine bottles. The first 2 digits are the year it was produced and the next three digits are the day of the year. Next time I go to HD, I will look at the boxes to see how old they are (out of curiosity), but I won't buy them as long as they are stored in the sun. The bottles I bought at Leslies recently were only 32 days old.

That's the particular one that I am talking about. They are locally distributed out of El Cajon. If I'm not mistaken it's actually 12.5%. If it's 10 you're better off cruising to Walmart in Encinitas or Oceanside.

- - - Updated - - -

I am paying $3.59 per 128 oz gal. of HASA 12.5%, which is always fresh and stronger 14% estimate based on use & Pool Math

I purchase a 4/Case at a local pool store 5 minutes from house, easy in easy out...round trip about 10-15 minutes, so I am happy to do so and maybe pay a bit more and never a worry.

If I could find hasa locally...that would be my preferred buy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.