ScreenLogic2 - Aerator - Spa Cool Down Control Issue

datnac

Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Hi All, I am very, very new to the pool world, so please bear with me as I am sure I have a ton to learn! We had a Pentair IntelliFlo 2 system intstalled, along with Screen Logic and all of that. However, I am unable to control the aerator with our screenlogic. I went back and the aerator and spa cooldown are on the same pipe, but both have manual blue handles instead of actuators. Is this something that is normal? Can it be changed? I can see that the ScreenLogic2 allows for the aerator to be operated through the system, so I am not sure why a manual handle was installed.
Thanks so much!

Unless a pool has been designed from the beginning with automation in mind, then ScreenLogic or any other program will not be able to control things. The function of switching from the Pool mode to the Spa mode and turning on and off major water features (Waterfall) are generally done with Jandy style valves that can be electronically controlled. Most everything else will have a manual valve, unless automation was designed into the system. Better designed systems will have all Jandy style valves, while older designs often have the PVC blue or red handle valves.

Jim R.

It was technically supposed to be totally automated from the beginning. We have Jandy valves for all of the pumps, skimmers, spa, etc. The only thing that doesn't have a Jandy pump is the aerator/spa cool down (which has blue handles), and the pool skimmer (which I was told can easily be changed by replacing the valve with a Jandy one). Everything else I can technically control via my ScreenLogic.

image.jpgSo it was suggested to me that the 2 blue handles (aerator and spa cool down) couldn't be swapped out, but no reason was given. Is that not the case? How simple would it be for me to purchase the actuators and have them installed?

From the purely mechanical point of view, both blue valves could be replaced with Jandy valves. But, I'm not sure it makes sense because of other factors. Your picture shows four Jandy valves and only one of them has an actuator. I assume there are more valves at other locations. The EasyTouch can only control a maximum of four valves. So, just based upon what I see in the picture, not "everything" will be able to be controlled by your ScreenLogic system.

I'm sure it is just me, but I can't understand the plumbing, valve positions, and nomenclature in your picture. Let's hope one of the more experienced TFP'ers will be able to jump in on this.

Jim R.

From the purely mechanical point of view, both blue valves could be replaced with Jandy valves. But, I'm not sure it makes sense because of other factors. Your picture shows four Jandy valves and only one of them has an actuator. I assume there are more valves at other locations. The EasyTouch can only control a maximum of four valves. So, just based upon what I see in the picture, not "everything" will be able to be controlled by your ScreenLogic system.

I'm sure it is just me, but I can't understand the plumbing, valve positions, and nomenclature in your picture. Let's hope one of the more experienced TFP'ers will be able to jump in on this.

Jim R.

Hi Jim - thanks for that. So if I am able to control 4 features (putting on pool, spa, lights, and fountain) does that mean there are no other features like the aerator that I can control on the app?

I can't tell how your pool is plumbed for sure, but generally two electric valves are required to change from the Pool mode to the Spa mode. These same two valves allow for the spa overflow to turn on or off. I suspect that your fountain is also controlled by an electric valve. So that would be three valves that all have actuators attached to them, like the 2nd valve from the left in your picture. Your lights are controlled by a relay, so no valve is used. If this is true, then you have one valve control circuit that is not being used. If you were to replace the blue valve that goes to the aerator, with a Jandy valve plus an electric actuator then you could control that with the remaining valve circuit.

To confirm this, please look at how many Jandy actuators you have. If only three, then you have the ability to add one more.

I assume what you are calling an aerator is a what I call a bubbler.. sends a stream of water up in the air, usually on a tanning ledge, the height of which is controlled by the blue valve in your picture. Keep in mind that when a Jandy valve is electrically controlled, it is either on or off, unlike when manually moved, where you can adjust it in small increments to any position you want. This means that to control the height of the bubbler you'd still need the blue valve, the Jandy valve would just control the bubbler being on or off.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.