dirty out flow

Jul 20, 2016
Brunswick, GA
Hi, my name is Christine Michaud and I am new to this website. I have an above ground 12'x24'x52" and my outflow into the pool looks like a hairy armpit... my husband said it is chewed up leaves and stuff but we do not have a skimmer and the leaves are vacuumed up so I do not believe it is that... has anyone ever had that problem? We just got a new Hayward 1 hp pump and a sand filter that uses about 120 lbs of sand. Our current pump and filter is sand but my husband used play sand instead of pool sand and my pool is full of little particles... so if anyone can help with these issues I would truly appreciate it. Sincerely, Christine

Hi Christine and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, for the sand, you'll want to replace it. For pools, we only use sand designed specifically for pools, and somewhere on the product is should say "#20 silica sand". As you may have already noticed, using other types of sand can lead to blow-by where the sand passes through the laterals in the filter (pipes) and back into the pool just making a mess.

As for the return jets, it sounds like they need a shaving. :p Honestly though, I'm having a hard time visualizing how there could be anything hanging-on at the return jets when water is pushing through those so well. Is it just a matter of cleaning in each return pipe to release whatever is hanging on? There should be no large debris after the filter since the filter should've grabbed junk as it was sucked from the pool to be cleaned. You might need to post a pic of it for us if it doesn't get resolved by just cleaning.

Also, at some point, don't forget to add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.