Slamming For The First Time

My testing kit (Taylor K-2006 Complete FAS-DPD chlorine) arrived today so here we go with the slam. I've been pool stored since setting up 5/1/16 which has been a costly hot mess to be quite honest. (He was saying my chlorine was fine as long as it was between 1 and 4 ppm while the whole time my CYA has been steadily rising because of using the pucks.) I have thrown everything I was told previously out the window and am excited to regain control of my wallet using the TFPC method. I have read a TON on this and am feeling pretty confident but figured I would start a thread with everything I am doing as I go in case I get messed up. lol.

Tested my water at 11 am and here are the results:
CYA = 60 ppm
FC = 2.4 ppm
CC = 0 (but I think I may have done it wrong with this being my first time to test because in afternoon at 4:30 I did have CC of 0.6 ppm)
PH = 7.8 (lowered to 7.2 using 50 oz muriatic acid)
TA = 170 ppm (aerating to lower and used 50 oz muriatic acid for PH)
CH = 80 ppm

Went to town and stocked up on bleach and muriatic acid. Came home and retested at 4:30 pm CC = 0.6 ppm, FC = 1.8 ppm, and PH = 7.2. I didn't recheck the TA. Hmmm. Maybe I should have. What do you guys think?

At 4:30 pm I added 411 oz of 8.25% liquid chlorine to begin the slam based on Pool Math. I am about to go vacuum, brush, and skim and pull every thing including the ladder out to clean them. I will be retesting at 6:30 pm to check my chlorine to see if I need to add more.

Thank you all so much for everything you contribute to this forum!

Edited to add more readings:
7-21-16 6:30 pm FC = 24.5
7-21-16 10:30 pm FC = 24.5
7-22-16 6:30 am FC = 24 CC = 1.5
7-22-16 Noon FC =19.5 CC = 1.0 (added 83 oz bleach)
7-22-16 5 pm FC = 21 CC = 0.5 (added 56 oz bleach) also I am filling my pool more so I anticipate the need for more chlorine.

Welcome! You can use the 10 ml size and save your reagent. Each drop then counts as 0.5

You are already on the right track having the recommended test kit, good job

During the SLAM, check FC, and CC's only. The PH reads high at higher FC levels. It looks as though you understand the process pretty well. Brusha, brusha, brusha.....

Thanks y'all! I am loving this! It's already looking good, but don't worry I'm still doing the SLAM. My husband is super impressed with my mad scientist skills, money saving skills, and how great the pool is already looking. HA! I knew the pool store dude was gonna try and sell me the PhosFree and Algaecide at $67 again this week just like he did last week and I was so done with that. My pool pump couldn't even take a full day of the PhosFree. One quick question: Is it reasonable for me to have a goal of a complete 0.0 on the combined chlorine and of coarse all of the other goals on the SLAM? I don't want to stop the SLAM process too early and end up back in the same boat in a few weeks. Thanks so much! Back to brushing, skimming, and vacuuming I go.

Woo hoo!!! My very first slam is done and my water is gorgeous! Thank you all so very much! I am excited to move on to the maintenance phase now! One quick question because I have been pool schooled for so long...lol Do I need to raise my chlorine to shock level once a week or anything or is that solely for slamming?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I am definitely getting a sense of pride and accomplishment from my pool too! Today I had a combined chlorine reading of 0 and was so tickled! I love to vacuum it and keep is brushed down because I am already getting so many compliments on how great the water feels and looks. Have a great summer and thank you all so so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.