Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer basket question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer basket question

At what height is the skimmer basket supposed to sit in the skimmer tub? I thought it was supposed to sit as low as possible, but the hairnets I use as skimmer socks make it float up so I was using a rock to make it sink all the way down. Something I just read here made me question this so I thought I should ask. Thanks!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Skimmer basket question

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    At what height is the skimmer basket supposed to sit in the skimmer tub? I thought it was supposed to sit as low as possible, but the hairnets I use as skimmer socks make it float up so I was using a rock to make it sink all the way down. Something I just read here made me question this so I thought I should ask. Thanks!
    If it is just a standard skimmer the basket should be all the way down.

I also use a rock (& hairnets) to keep the basket from floating, I picked one slightly larger than the opening at the bottom in case I drop it, it can't get sucked into the pipe.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dom. I thought I was doing it right, so I'm glad you confirmed it.

Good idea about making sure to have a big enough rock to hold down the basket but not accidentally go down the hole. Mine was big enough but not that heavy because all I could find was limestone, but I just discovered that my Stonescapes Pebble sample tiles do the job perfectly. Pretty too!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup, also use rock/hairnet.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.