Is it OK to leave pump on all the time? and vacuum question

Sep 7, 2015
Sammamish
HI, I have a salt chlorinator that I am running for about 7 hrs a day (16 X 48 ultra frame above ground pool). Live in WA state. Average temp is 70 degrees right now.
Can I leave pump on all the time? Haven't coordinated timer of salt chlorinator with pump timer so just leaving it on to be safe. Also I feel it helps to suck out dirt etc in pool.

Also, never had luck with skimmer to get bottom of floor of pool dirt out....any suggestions? bought a vacuum last yr that fits onto hose but doesn't work well.....................

Thank you!

There's no problem with running it 24x7, other than the electric bill.

I put my pump and SWG both on an external timer so that they both come on at the same time. I had to remove the GFCI built into the pump's cord, because it tripped every time the timer turned it on. The entire thing is plugged into a GFCI outlet at the house.

I know the general consensus is to run the pump as little as the pool can tolerate. I've tried all manner of schedules and speeds with my pump and SWG, and in the end, it just works best for me to run the pump all the time. I vary the speed during the day to lower the elec cost, but I've found that with the constant running, my debris level in the pool stays non existent, and with the extreme heat/sun we've been having I'm staying above minimum levels of FC with the SWG. I have a variable SWG as far as output levels, so as the days get cooler/shorter, I just adjust the FC level through the SWG and keep the pump schedule the same.

I run mine about 16 hrs/day myself. I like to always have it on while we're in the pool, so it runs from noon to midnight continuously. Then a couple more hours in the early am, just to skim off the junebugs..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.