Doing first Slam, not sure I should be

SteveOB

Silver Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
Marysville, MI
Ok so I got a pool last year and researched before so I have been using the TFP method since day 1. Test chlorine and PH every day other things about once a week. Use 8.25% bleach and maybe 5-6 times have had to add Borax. Last night noticed the pool was a little cloudy so added 10 extra ounces even though my test showed 3.0 FC. Today it's super cloudy with a green tint and can't see the bottom. Measurements were 5.0 FC, 0.0 CC, 40 CYA and 7.6 PH. I dumped 226 oz of bleach to get to 16 FC at 2:15 PM. Just tested again at 5:10 PM and the FC is at 17 so no loss. It was partly cloudy during this time but I assumed it was gonna go down some of not a ton. Do I have a different problem. I have never added anything to my filter in the year I've had it nor deep cleaned it. Could this be the problem? Our pool is always in awesome shape and we get so many compliments on the water, which is due to this community. Thank you for that, now I need some advice...

No, you are on the right path. Even though you have added the chlorine and there's algae in there it sometimes won't drop immediately. Brushing will help open the algae up to the chlorine so do so frequently.

You don't mention lowering the pH, but I still would use PoolMath and add MA to bring you from 7.6 to 7.2. You can run an OCLT tonight if you still don't see it dropping, but I think with some brushing and time it will happen.

Brushed and vacuumed pool and then Put the MA in to aim for 7.2 on the PH scale. Have 7:00 results:
FC-14 and CC-1 brought back to shock level and then just tested again at 9:00 and FC-15.5 and CC-.5. No change in cloudiness. Pool doesn't have any odor

Checked at 9:00 and FC-14 and CC-0. Brought FC level back up to shock level of 16. Tested again just now at 10:15 FC-16 and CC-0. I am working at home and am gonna get in and brush soon maybe that will cause the FC to drop? I can slightly see the bottom now but not sure if that's just because it's super sunny right now.

I would absolutely add DE to your filter since you can be home to babysit it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjQ3NbErofOAhUH0SYKHWf-CEUQFggeMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fcontent%2F133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter&usg=AFQjCNEx8a6VfX8Q5N6vS9vyALsnvEH_AA

This may help diagnose a filter issue. Though sand filters are the slowest at clearing after a bloom but should still keep it clear under normal circumstances like your's has. Definitely a little strange.

Thanks a lot for talking to me about this Pool Tool. I will try and put some DE in there, I bought a box of it yesterday but was too scared to pull the trigger. I had called the guy who installed our pool and closed it at the end of the summer. He said he never heard of putting DE in a sand filter. But he also never heard of using regular bleach either so I don't know what to think of him. He can install a pool, as far as maintaining one I am not so sure lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1:00 PM FC-11 and CC-0.0 added 110 oz to get back to SLAM level (actually 16.5). At this time I got in the pool and scrubbed the sides, bottom, ladders, and everything else.

2:30 PM FC-15.5 and CC-0.0....so in an hour and half in 100% sun I only lost 1 of FC. I can slightly see the bottom on the sides (which are a little shallower). So improving very slightly.

Forgot to mention I did put some DE into my filter earlier today.

Can bird poop make algae come on faster than normal? Our solar cover has had a bunch on it lately and am wondering if some is getting into the pool as well causing this algae bloom.

I would try a deep clean of your sand filter during your slam. I have seen several ppl recommend to do this at least once a year and it makes sense to me. I am planning to do mine when I open my pool. Then I would add DE as recommended above

Sorta on the bird poop. Its an organic so the bleach will act on it and may drop your FC faster than you expect, which would allow algae a chance

I lay my cover on the lawn and give it a scrub with soapy water and a soft broom when it gets yucky and then rinse with 1 pt bleach & 4pts water and allow to dry before it goes back on the pool

I wasn't making fun of Pool Tool at all. I can take the ladders out and scrub them and will do that today. I had no FC loss overnight at all, I am so confused. The pool is a little clearer this morning, but when standing on the side I can only see the bottom about 5 feet into the pool. If FC is not being eaten rapidly or even at all overnight what else could be the problem?

The pool has cleared up a little more yesterday and today. We had family over and swam in it most of the day so I only added bleach four times yesterday. It was very hot and sunny and lots of sunscreen was in the pool. These were the measurements: (I measured CC and it was always zero)

7:00- FC:15.0
1:15- FC: 10.0
5:00- FC: 11.0
10:00 FC: 13.0

And then this morning it was still 16 (slam level) with the overnight FC loss. But still as cloudy as yesterday. I am gonna put our vacuum in now. I am not having a ton of FC loss and have no CC is all of a sudden the pool gonna be clear?

Tested again just now (2:30) more than 5 hours later and only down to 15. So since I brought the pool back to SLAM level at 10:00 last night I have only lost 1 FC in 16.5 hours. It's been overcast all day and raining a little so I didn't expect much burn off from the sun. But 1 in that man hours when the pool is obviously not right has me confused.

Anyone with any advice?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.