Shock after chlorine drop?

Jul 21, 2016
Wichita
Hi, All.

I'm new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I have an Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame with an Intex 2,500 gph filter pump, sand filter, and Krystal Clear salt water generator.

Here's my issue: My chlorine keeps burning off because my CYA levels are too low. I've been adding stabilizer (granules in a sock in front of the return) for the last two days, shocked last night, running the SWG on boost, but still can't maintain any chlorine--it's been extremely hot and sunny.

I'd really like to swim tonight, so my question is, do I need to shock again since my FC levels plummeted to 0 during the day or can I just raise to maintenance level?

I'll test the water as soon as I get home.

Thanks!

** Test results **

FAC - 0
TAC - .5
Salt - 3,000
CH - 260
CYA - 50
TA - 50
pH - 7
Base demand - 1
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Phosphates - 300

Last edited:
Hi, I listed my specs and test results in the original post. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

We swam for the first time yesterday evening. I added two cups of bleach after testing. I know I need to add baking soda, but haven't determined how much. The water was clear yesterday, but is cloudy today. The stabilizer in the sock is almost completely dissolved.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.