Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Suggestion for 33k Gallon Pool w/Sand Filter - Replacing Pentair WhisperFlo

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Suggestion for 33k Gallon Pool w/Sand Filter - Replacing Pentair WhisperFlo

So my Pentair Whisperflo WFE-3 - 3/4 HP pump has quit working, new capacitor does not work, when I turn it manually via that nut on the end nothing happens. The external metal housing of the unit is also completely corroded and has turned to powder, so a rebuild probably wouldn't be worth it at this point.

I am looking for suggestions on a high quality, long lasting pump that saves energy. I have been reading and looking and am pretty thoroughly overwhelmed by the options.

I have a Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner with the extra pump, so unsure if this makes a difference on the type of pump to get.

Any pump advice and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

33,000 gallon, chlorine (3" tabs + liquid shock), Vinyl Liner Pool.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Suggestion for 33k Gallon Pool w/Sand Filter - Replacing Pentair WhisperFlo

I think I mentioned this on your other thread but you could just replace the current motor with a new two speed motor and save quite a bit of money. B2980
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump Suggestion for 33k Gallon Pool w/Sand Filter - Replacing Pentair WhisperFlo

I'm leaning more towards that, as I could get that 2 speed motor for less than $300 by reusing that skimmer housing part. It seems pretty easy as well according to that video. So is it really a 30 minute job basically?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes for the most part it is pretty easy. It gets difficult when the bolts are rusted or the impeller won't come off the old motor but a strap wrench helps with that. You also need a go-kit
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater