Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slightly cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Nichols New York

Slightly cloudy water

We set up our pool in the middle of June and up until now I've been able to keep the water In good condition. I forgot to add chlorine to the pool and noticed a slight cloudy look to the water. Tested the water to find chlorine basically non existent, ph was a light high but alkalinity was ok. Treated the water to lower the ph and added chlorine. All levels are good now but still water has that slight cloudiness. So my question is will it clear up eventually if I keep all levels stable ?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Fairfield Twp, OH

Re: Slightly cloudy water

Hello and welcome!

Do you have a good test kit and can you post some numbers? You should do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to see if you have algae growing in there. Directions are at the link but the gist is:

Let pump run for at least 30 mins after last addition of chemicals.
    After the sun goes down, test FC.
    Before the sun comes up in the morning, test FC.

If you lose more than 1.0ppm of FC, you need to SLAM the pool.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

Re: Slightly cloudy water

Not likely, normal chlorine levels are fine to keep algae out of the water but once you get past a certain amount you are at best keeping things the way they are and at worst losing ground. Best to look in pool school at defeating algae And read the directions for SLAM
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.