Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! New home owner, pebble tec pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! New home owner, pebble tec pool

So im not sure of the gallons, but i have a 16-1/2' x 34' pebble tec 9' deep and 4' in the shallow. Filter is a 450 & 550 Blue haven smartfilter, pump is hayward, i believe. How do i take care of it? Just tested, ph is 7.8, CL is .6, and BR is 1.3. I put 3 chlorine tablets in the float yesterday afternoon

IG Pebble Tec, 23,900 gal., w/ spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! New home owner, pebble tec pool

Hi and welcome!

First things first, you need a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net but the Taylor K-2006C will work just as well and can be had from Amazon. You need to know what's in the water to know what needs to be put in the water!

Next, go buy some liquid chlorine aka bleach and take the tablets out of the pool. Assuming they have been used to maintain the pool previously, your CYA is probably way high but we won't know until you get a good test kit and check it.

Head over to Pool School and read up on Getting Started, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Recommended Pool Chemicals and check out PoolMath at the top of the page to get to know how it works.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Ill let you know what happens. Also, what kind of vacuum head do you recommend

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to get a good test kit ASAP and suggest the TF-100. I also suggest getting the speedstir. You are going to need to keep an eye on your ph as it will constantly keep rising the first year until the plaster fully cures. I went through 6 gallons of MA the first summer after our refinish.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

As far as vacuum heads go, technique is more important than the head. Go slowly.

6. Back To Top    #6

I shocked the pool yesterday, now the acid is 7.6 and chlorine is at 5

7. Back To Top    #7

By the way, after vacuuming and adding chemicals yesterday and beushing the day before, the pool looks great