Getting ready for new SWG

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I'll be having a new SWG installed in about 2 weeks and I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered. It will be a Hayward (sorry I don't know the exact model) rated for 40K gallons (my pool is about 22K). Here are a few questions:

Should I have a way to test for salt concentration? Does the unit do that for me, and if so, is it reliable?

How many pounds of salt am I likely to have to add at the onset? Should I expect to have to add more on a regular basis?

When should I start adding salt, and how long does it take before the generator is producing enough chlorine to be useful?

PoolMath says I'll need about 100 ounces of stabilizer to raise my CYA from 40 to 74, so I'll start adding that next week.

Is there anything I'm missing?

You can use pool math to determine salt #. I found it pretty accurate. I started with 2/3 amount suggested and waited 2 days to see where it landed. And then dosed accordingly - shooting for 3200.
You can start that now. You want some Aqua check test strips or a Taylor k1766 reagent tester. I think both can be purchased at Tfttestkits and certainly Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this one https://amzn.com/B001DO35EU to test for salt concentration. It is pretty accurate. The salt level is pretty stable and I usually add one bag per year.
One important thing, you need to take the unit off in winter time to avoid damage. Also remember to acid clean it once a while. Add muriatic acid if the PH is high -- SWG will raise the PH gradually.

I'll be having a new SWG installed in about 2 weeks and I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered. It will be a Hayward (sorry I don't know the exact model) rated for 40K gallons (my pool is about 22K). Here are a few questions:

Should I have a way to test for salt concentration? Does the unit do that for me, and if so, is it reliable?

How many pounds of salt am I likely to have to add at the onset? Should I expect to have to add more on a regular basis?

When should I start adding salt, and how long does it take before the generator is producing enough chlorine to be useful?

PoolMath says I'll need about 100 ounces of stabilizer to raise my CYA from 40 to 74, so I'll start adding that next week.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Keep your FC above the min using bleach. Once you turn it on you can measure your FC just to see where you are at. I just kept testing daily until I got my % dialed in. I have same SWG on a 14000 gal pool. Just as reference I run pump 5 hours at 40%. My FC has been between 4.5 and 5.5 for 2 plus months

Thanks, guys. I have a K-1766 test kit on the way that'll be here in a week.

One other thing: I am raising the calcium hardness from 200 to about 250. Is that important, considering it's a fiberglass pool?

And just out of curiosity, do those of you testing FC daily find the OTO test accurate enough, or do you do the FAS-DPD test every day?

You can use pool math to determine salt #. I found it pretty accurate. I started with 2/3 amount suggested and waited 2 days to see where it landed. And then dosed accordingly - shooting for 3200.
You can start that now.

I have no idea what target of salt concentration to shoot for using PoolMath. Is there a standard or does it vary depending on the brand of SWG? Should I also be shooting for 3200?

Plus I assume there's already some salt in the pool because of the chlorine that I've put in. Is that significant enough to factor in? I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I can test the current level before starting to add.

A starting point of 3500 will be good for the Hayward SWG.

There's already salt in the water and you will need to measure it before adding any salt. In your case I would take a sample to the pool store and have them test the salinity level. Once you know the starting salinity level, use PoolMath and add enough salt to raise it up to 3000 to begin with so you don't overshoot the salinity. You can do all this before adding the SWG to the pool.

This should help with determining a starting point for the run time.

Before starting your SWG, it is recommended to use Pool Math and bleach to get your FC to at least the target level but something like Target + 4 would be better. The idea is to keep your pool from going below the minimum while you dial in the % and run time. Once you are confident that the SWG is gererating the right amount of chlorine for the average dialy FC demand, then you can let the FC drift down to target. Also recommend the the following link: Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Definitely don't overshoot the salt. Bring it up gradually and test after two days as suggested. If you overshoot you'll be doing a partial drain to remove the salt you just put in. The SWG will test the salt level but generally people have suggested to test with the Taylor kit as the control panel uses an algorithm that is an approximation. Good luck. I just got one a month ago and love it! Once it's dialed in...pH will be the only thing you have to worry about. Might want to make sure you have enough HCL since an SWG will tend to accelerate pH drift more (increase).

Testing the salt is good, but the SWG will tell you when it is happy, my Hayward works anywhere from around 2500 to 4500. I try for 3200 just to make not a worry if it goes up or down a bit. It has been a rainy summer, so I have been draining a lot of my chemicals down the street this year and have gone through my entire pile of salt bags already!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I started up the SWG yesterday and all is good! 400 pounds of salt brought me to 3200 ppm just like PoolMath said it would.

I ran it for about 8 hours yesterday at 100% in full sunshine just to see what would happen and my FC rose from 3 to 5. I now have it dialed back to 60% and see how it goes today. My plan is to run it about 6 hours every afternoon and 2 hours overnight on low pump speed.

How do people generally keep the FC constant? (My goal is 4.) Do you turn the percentage knob up on sunny days and down on cloudy ones? That seems easier than constantly changing the run time (I hate twiddling with those tiny little set screws on the timer!).

I adjust my percentage. And do not concern myself with the weather. If it is cloudy for a few days, and my measurement has creeped up I just dial it down a little. You will get a feel for it.
I filter based on what is comfortable to me for keeping the pool clear. That is 5 hours. So my percentage setting is based on what keeps my FC at my desired level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.