1st time pool owner - Drain and refill or filter/clean?

Went to the pool store here and had the water tested. They said that the water has a lot of phosphates in the water and that I should drain most of the water and refill it. They said because there is no chlorine in the water that it would be an uphill battle because of the phosphates.

Here is the printout of the levels. I can drain it most of the way and refill or try to shock and refill. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't get it- did you post pics earlier from someone else pool? Because if that is Not Swampy or Green Algae then they must have forgotten someone else sample in their machine :) j/k
There're only 2 numbers in there which are of interest: iron = 0.1 and copper = 0.1. If my understanding is correct those should not fall off the water during SLAM at these levels. The rest of printout is not worth the paper it's printed on.Have you ordered TF100 test kit and how soon it arrives? This pretty much defines time frame to get rid of the mess in your pool. You also need to get your pump/filter ready for that.

It might sound overwhelming but it's really not that bad- once settled it won't require much efforts.

Haven't bought a test kit yet. I just bought the filter/pump yesterday and have it ready to go, but haven't turned it on yet. Don't want to run it for no reason until I know which route I should take.

Would this test kit be any good? Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

I can pick this one up tonight or tomorrow if so. The TF100 probably wouldnt arrive until sometime next week and would like to start the process ASAP.

Haven't bought a test kit yet. I just bought the filter/pump yesterday and have it ready to go, but haven't turned it on yet. Don't want to run it for no reason until I know which route I should take.

Would this test kit be any good? Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

I can pick this one up tonight or tomorrow if so. The TF100 probably wouldnt arrive until sometime next week and would like to start the process ASAP.

that test kit is lacking two essential tests for FAS/DPD and CYA. Can you buy K2006? It has less value in the long run as you'd need refills sooner. Or call TfTestkits they might do something for you- tell them you came from here :). I never tried that myself.though.

that test kit is lacking two essential tests for FAS/DPD and CYA. Can you buy K2006? It has less value in the long run as you'd need refills sooner. Or call TfTestkits they might do something for you- tell them you came from here :). I never tried that myself.though.

I found this one, not sure if it's the same as the K2006. Taylor Technologies 81329 Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit

- - - Updated - - -

Actually that looks like it's the same as the K2006.

TFtestkits used to offer a coupon towards a kit if you support the site. I am not sure if they are still doing that...

Where in Chicagoland are you?

I live in Lemont.

- - - Updated - - -

Order a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net, it is the best value. Here's why, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

looks very similar to K2006 but somehow grossly overpriced.

If I order the TF-100, is there anything I can do in the mean time to start cleaning up the water or should I wait until I get a test kit?

I have the filter/pump ready to go but I don't want to run it for no reason.

I live in Lemont.

- - - Updated - - -

If I order the TF-100, is there anything I can do in the mean time to start cleaning up the water or should I wait until I get a test kit?

I have the filter/pump ready to go but I don't want to run it for no reason.

replace as much water as you can, then using PoolMath for your pool size 7000 gal put 1/2 gal of 8.25% bleach in the water and keep adding 1/4 gal of bleach until kit arrives and you could post your numbers here. Please correct amount of bleach (using the same PoolMath) if the one you get has different concentration. This should put your FC at 5-7 ppm and compensate 3ppm loss daily. Hard to give more precise recommendations blindly- for example, it's very likely you have things living there and 7 ppm FC will be consumed within 2 hrs bringing FC to 0.

replace as much water as you can, then using PoolMath for your pool size 7000 gal put 1/2 gal of 8.25% bleach in the water and keep adding 1/4 gal of bleach until kit arrives and you could post your numbers here. Please correct amount of bleach (using the same PoolMath) if the one you get has different concentration. This should put your FC at 5-7 ppm and compensate 3ppm loss daily. Hard to give more precise recommendations blindly- for example, it's very likely you have things living there and 7 ppm FC will be consumed within 2 hrs bringing FC to 0.

When you say replace as much water as I can, do you mean draining/refill or running the pump/filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you say replace as much water as I can, do you mean draining/refill or running the pump/filter?

draining/refilling - you want to lose as much 'history' as your water bill will allow. Currently your pool might contain a lot of other things which were added there by previous owners. I see little point in fighting that trying to get crystal clear water from the swamp- it will cost money, time and depending on what is in there might end up with drain/refill anyway. So why fight it in the first place? If you can replace at least 1/2 of it it would be good starting point - the more the better.

I ended up hooking up the pump filter just to make sure it worked and there were no leaks. The pump/filter works great and PSI was hovering around 10.

The new issue is now with the return outlet/inlet. I filled the water level to just about the middle of the skimmer and fired up the pump.

The water return inlet (not sure if I'm using the right term - it's the one on the inside of the pool) has a light built in. When water was pumped back into the pool, water was shooting up underneath the deck lid and not straight out into the pool. Also, water was leaking from underneath the deck lid and running down the outside wall. Also looked like water was leaking from the return jet on the outside of the pool. Not sure what to do now.

Will post pictures shortly. They are on my wife's phone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.