Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep pool warm?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to keep pool warm?

Having an issue getting our pools temp to and above 70. 22x52 intex ultra frame. Sees sun morning and mid day then starts to get shade from about 2:30-3pm. Right now a heater or solar cover are not in the budget. Also doesnt help that our daytime temps are between mid 70's to low 90's but most nights it drops to the 50s-60s. Any cheap way of keeping it somewhat warmer?
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to keep pool warm?

There was a thread here someplace, a person used the dollar store blow up baby pools as a solar cover (put them in at night)
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jasnovanorder View Post
    Having an issue getting our pools temp to and above 70. 22x52 intex ultra frame. Sees sun morning and mid day then starts to get shade from about 2:30-3pm. Right now a heater or solar cover are not in the budget. Also doesnt help that our daytime temps are between mid 70's to low 90's but most nights it drops to the 50s-60s. Any cheap way of keeping it somewhat warmer?
    Since much of the cooling of your water comes from evaporation, you could cover the pool with a tarp or plastic sheeting.A darker color would be best. leave it on at night, when its windy,and when the sun is not on the pool.
    Also, just brainstorming here, maybe you could find some left over bubble wrap at a business and lay the pieces in the pool or duct tape a bunch of smaller sheets together.
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in the mitten too and my pool is at 86. I use a solar cover. It just a thin, cheap one, but it does the job.

If I didn't have a solar cover, I'd use a dark tarp. But the cost of a tarp that size is 1/2 or more than the cost of a solar cover.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a solar cover, cost about $30 for the size of my pool. Can usually get a couple years out of it. Works good for me as I have the same situation with the shade as you do.
    Intex 9x18x54 pool, semi hard plumbed with Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter and Intex SWG, Hayward fittings, Intex Robot pool cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Solar cover on at night.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Solar cover ...i had to cool my pool down a little because it was 89 the other day. I left the cover off for 1 night and the temp dropped 5 . So what ever temp your gaining in the day your losing that night if not more.
    24' x 52" VINYL AG 15,200 GAL.
    HAYWARD POWER FLOW LX 1.5 HP
    HAYWARD SAND FILTER
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Any insulation at all is worth whatever it takes- If buying a cover is out of the budget, make one as best you can.

In the morning when we take our cover off, there's steam coming off the water. When our Intex went away and we actually had to buy a pool, we went with a Radiant Metric because the walls are insulated.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok next question. If I can come up with the coin for a solar cover what would be better one that is a bit bigger (24') or one that is a just a bit smaller (21')? It looks like there are not a lot of options for a 22' round pool. Im thinking the 24' would be better that way I could either just let it run up and over the sides or even trim it to fit where the 21 foot would leave some of the surface uncovered.
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

10. Back To Top    #10

If it were me i would trim it to fit. I wouldn't let it over the sides ....good gust of wind and your cover is gone
    24' x 52" VINYL AG 15,200 GAL.
    HAYWARD POWER FLOW LX 1.5 HP
    HAYWARD SAND FILTER
    Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

A friend of mine uses black trash bags as a solar cover. We have a solar cover and never use it because I want to throw it away every time we try. I am not sure how people manage to use theirs because ours takes more time and effort to get off and on than its worth! LOL

12. Back To Top    #12

Go bigger and trim.

Our pool is round and we put it on and off together- solo is horrible. I see pics of oddball shaped pools here and I shudder to think of how aggravating covers on those would be.

I've been looking at the pics of PVC work here, and I'm going to go shopping tomorrow to see about building a rack to drop the rolled up cover on to make things a bit easier and cleaner.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ANEJI View Post
    A friend of mine uses black trash bags as a solar cover. We have a solar cover and never use it because I want to throw it away every time we try. I am not sure how people manage to use theirs because ours takes more time and effort to get off and on than its worth! LOL
    Thats what my wife wants to try. She say a thing on youtube on how to make little lily pad type heaters with hula hoops and garbage bags. I figure why not for 10 bucks in hoops and bags if it dont work the kids can still use the hoops for something.
    My Slam

14. Back To Top    #14

I had a neighbor as a kid who worked in some sort of warehouse. they brought home rolls of bubble wrap that that was their solar cover.No tape, just laid it out four peices wide.

I keep meaning to install a reel for my cover on my 27' round, but I never get around to it, because it is easy to take on and off. I don't see what the issue is. I built a PVC pipe rack on the side of the pool to store it. It takes me maybe 2 minutes to drag it off the pool. If I remember to put it on while I am still in the pool, it takes 3 minutes. If I have to do it after I get out, it takes about 5 minutes - tops. I never found it that difficult, and it makes a HUGE difference in my water temps (and it keeps the pool clean too)

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

15. Back To Top    #15

Thats what my wife wants to try. She say a thing on youtube on how to make little lily pad type heaters with hula hoops and garbage bags. I figure why not for 10 bucks in hoops and bags if it dont work the kids can still use the hoops for something.
    Save the $10.00 and put it towards a solar cover. You won't regret it! My pool is up to 90 today!

Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten