Too much chlorine! Help?

May 15, 2015
Chandler
Need some advice after a major screwup. I have stenner auto chlorinator. My power went out & even though the pump says it has batter backup it failed to kick in. So I had to reset my time & timer. I set it to start at 10pm & accidentally set the end time for 1115am & didn't realize it until day 2. The stenner dumped 12 gallons of chlorine into my pool over that period of time. My chlorine ppm is 26. With a cya of 40, what do u recommend? Let it come down by itself? Should I be worried about anything? What's the safe level I can swim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's ok. Just let it come down naturally. Keep your pumps running. Once you get down to 16ppm FC, it's safe to swim.

Heck, thrown some pool toys in the pool and use the super SLAM FC levels to clean them up a bit ;)

I have also noticed my pool eats up chlorine pretty quick past 110* ambient. I have only been in the home for about 3weeks and the few days under 110 seemed to use less chlorine throughout the day. My CYA is still very high 80-85 since I have not been able to dedicate time to correcting that just yet. It has actually dropped some on its own from above 90 I assume from evaporation and refilling of the auto leveler.

CYA does not get lost through evaporation, however it does break down slowly over time, the speed of this break down is accelerated at higher temperatures. When dealing with Chlorinated hot tubs that are usually kept at 104 degrees F, CYA usually needs to be bumped back up about once per month.

CYA does not get lost through evaporation, however it does break down slowly over time, the speed of this break down is accelerated at higher temperatures. When dealing with Chlorinated hot tubs that are usually kept at 104 degrees F, CYA usually needs to be bumped back up about once per month.

good to know. Granted its has not dropped much but it sure has gone down some since I started testing.

That's huge knowledge there Isaac - thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.