Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much chlorine! Help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much chlorine! Help?

Need some advice after a major screwup. I have stenner auto chlorinator. My power went out & even though the pump says it has batter backup it failed to kick in. So I had to reset my time & timer. I set it to start at 10pm & accidentally set the end time for 1115am & didn't realize it until day 2. The stenner dumped 12 gallons of chlorine into my pool over that period of time. My chlorine ppm is 26. With a cya of 40, what do u recommend? Let it come down by itself? Should I be worried about anything? What's the safe level I can swim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Too much chlorine! Help?

It's ok. Just let it come down naturally. Keep your pumps running. Once you get down to 16ppm FC, it's safe to swim.

Heck, thrown some pool toys in the pool and use the super SLAM FC levels to clean them up a bit
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Too much chlorine! Help?

It's already down to 11ppm. I'm assuming because it me 110 degrees outside & cya is 40 so any ppm above a certain amount will burn extra quick.

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Re: Too much chlorine! Help?

Yup, the sun here really burns off that excess chlorine quickly!!!

Enjoy your pool.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

5. Back To Top    #5

I have also noticed my pool eats up chlorine pretty quick past 110* ambient. I have only been in the home for about 3weeks and the few days under 110 seemed to use less chlorine throughout the day. My CYA is still very high 80-85 since I have not been able to dedicate time to correcting that just yet. It has actually dropped some on its own from above 90 I assume from evaporation and refilling of the auto leveler.
    10k gal, IG Plaster, 3/4HP WhisperFlo pump, A.0 Smith Centurion single speed motor, Pentair TritonII sand filter, TF100 test kit, Hayward suction cleaner, City well water

6. Back To Top    #6

My CYA was the same until I drained it in February of this year. It stays at 40 now.

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA does not get lost through evaporation, however it does break down slowly over time, the speed of this break down is accelerated at higher temperatures. When dealing with Chlorinated hot tubs that are usually kept at 104 degrees F, CYA usually needs to be bumped back up about once per month.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine was 40 yesterday. If it ever gets low I float a couple of tabs.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    CYA does not get lost through evaporation, however it does break down slowly over time, the speed of this break down is accelerated at higher temperatures. When dealing with Chlorinated hot tubs that are usually kept at 104 degrees F, CYA usually needs to be bumped back up about once per month.

good to know. Granted its has not dropped much but it sure has gone down some since I started testing.
    10k gal, IG Plaster, 3/4HP WhisperFlo pump, A.0 Smith Centurion single speed motor, Pentair TritonII sand filter, TF100 test kit, Hayward suction cleaner, City well water

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    That's huge knowledge there Isaac - thank you.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D