The New Sheriff Checks In With the Regional Office

This is the new sheriff of the watering hole that was formerly known as Green Slime Pit and other, similar nicknames. I took office at the end of April and promised our pool (rashly, as it turned out) that I was taking over and was going to make it clean up its act and behave. Little did I know that it snickered wickedly somewhere within its green guts and vowed to prove me wrong. Danged near did, too!

During May and the early part of June, I acquired and at least attempted to use a sand filter, a new "real" vacuum and a TF test kit. That was when I discovered that there was no way to raise the water level high enough to give the filter access to enough water. I determined this was the reason it lost prime frequently, returned water in a gentle spray, didn't filter real well and would not vacuum worth a busted horseshoe. This all left me in the unenviable position of either needing to rebuild my pool on a level, compacted surface, or having to install a new skimmer, placed to make the "normal" water depth provide sufficient water for operation. So, here I am in mid-June - unable to swim despite promising that new equipment would make it happen, spending substantial cash on that equipment, and then having my wife question whether I knew what I was doing. And, of course, there was always my daughter yelling at me to just "take a sample to the pool store and let them figure it out". But wait! There's more! You ain't heard NOTHIN' yet!

On top of everything else, my wife and I are supposed to leave for a camping trip on July 3rd. She decrees that we will not be going unless I get the running boards replaced on my truck. I also need to scrape, derust and paint the rear bumper and the hitch on the RV. Meanwhile, we find out that her minivan is not long for this world and we will need to get her a new vehicle LIKE NOW. So, ol' Sheriff goes into overdrive. I get the painting done, get the RV cleaned up and loaded and a friend fabricates me a new running board for the passenger side. OK, takes care of that. Divine intervention then steps in. I spent two hours on the second Saturday before we were supposed to leave looking for a new vehicle for her since she had another commitment. Had a few ideas, nothing real useful. Salesman calls me two days later with a vehicle suggestion. I go and look at it. It's completely outside of what I figured my wife would ever drive. I call her and tell her about it. To my utter shock, she says she'd like to see it and test drive it. Well, to make THAT story short, we took ownership, had a luggage rack installed and had a left foot accelerator installed (long story - my wife was in a bad car accident and can't use a "conventional" accelerator any more) by Friday of that week.

Stay with me, because here is where it gets nuts! After we get her and her new car home, she casually asks me if the pool is ready for swimming because she has invited some people from church to come and swim while we are out camping! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What else could I do?!??!!??! I told her I needed to put a new fitting on it, run the filter and it would be. She seemed OK with that. Now, mind you, come Saturday morning, the water is green, she and I are leaving the next day, Monday is a holiday, and we supposedly have company coming with the expectation of swimming in the clean, pure water we did not have at that point. OK, so I go get the "fitting" I told her I needed -- which is a new Hayward skimmer. I hold my breath and slit the liner -- which turned out to be so ridiculously easy to cut I had the new opening done in about five minutes. OK, I install the skimmer, leak test everything, get it down to a drip I will worry about later, and run the filter. I teach my brother to test chlorine and pH and tell him to test it every day we're gone and send me a text with the numbers so I can figure out what might need doing. He chlorinates it Sunday night. Unbeknownst to me, my daughter turned the filter on that night and ran it for at least 24 hours continuously. I text him the evening of July 4th. He gives me the numbers and tells me the water is crystal clear. I practically fall off my chair! So he monitored and corrected the chlorine and pH levels when we were gone. Man, I slept GREAT that week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When we got back, the pool was clear, the pH was fine, but it was snarfing chlorine.

So the sheriff starts looking for clues. I check the CYA and find there is none. OK, that's an easy fix. I get some stabilizer and put it in. Ol' Green Face stops snarfing chlorine. We've had clear water since July 12th with proper pH and reasonable chlorine consumption. I've gone in several times because someone had better swim in it after all the work I did to get it that way!

OK, Regional Office, I'm left with a situation I can't quite figure out. There is this fine powder or something on the bottom of the pool. It's kind of grayish and it won't vacuum worth a darn! I don't see how it can be algae since that vacuums up REAL good and we don't have abnormal chlorine consumption or murky or colored water. I've walked on it and it's not sand because I can't feel it under my feet. I have tried brushing it up from the bottom so that the filter picks it up. That may work, I will have to see.

Any suggestions?

Howdy neighbor! (Literally - I'm 40 miles east of you)

It's almost unheard of for a post to go 22 hours on TFP without an answer, so I'll deputize myself if just for the purpose of a "bump".

The TFP community asks all posters to provide current test results:

FC
CC
TC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

etc.

Can you also clarify what you mean by "won't vacuum worth a darn"? Are you saying that you can see it at the bottom of the pool, but the vacuum head won't take it in, or does it return after you vacuum it up?

Far be it for a sheriff, even a newly-minted one, to not follow protocol! I will send those numbers later this afternoon. As for the vacuuming, I have additional information, but no explanations. Suffice it to say that I actually can and did vacuum successfully with the filter set to waste. It seems water level influences the vacuum quality, at least to some extent.

Jesse, I was considering that. I'll let the numbers decide. In my defense, I've tested chlorine and pH every day since the 12th. After last night's storm, I had no chlorine. I put chlorine in this morning, set the filter to run 8 hours and will monitor chlorine and pH. I'll test CYA, CH and TA later. I haven't tried the OCLT.

Far be it from a sheriff, even a newly-minted one, to not follow protocol! I will send those numbers later this afternoon. As for the vacuuming, I have additional information, but no explanations. Suffice it to say that I actually can and did vacuum successfully with the filter set to waste. It seems water level influences the vacuum quality, at least to some extent.

Numbers follow:

Daily test kit: Chlorine = 5PPM pH >= 8.2

CYA = 55
CH = 16 drops * 25 = 400
TA = 25 drops * 10 = 250

FAS-DPD: FC = 26 drops * 0.5 = 13 CC = 2 drops * 0.5 = 1

I performed the chlorine, pH and CYA tests earlier and just finished the other tests. I hope the gap does not skew the results unduly. I will test the chlorine and pH one more time this evening so I have data to evaluate the OCLT tomorrow morning. As I understand it, this then determines the necessity of executing the SLAM process.

Better living through chemistry, baby!

Welcome to TFP!

Heckuva story. But, it turned out pretty well! Sure sounds like the stuff on the bottom is/was dead algae. All that time with FC below minimum would support the theory. I agree that Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is called for.

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Keep it above minimum at all times to keep the pool safe, sanitary and algae free.

Your TA is pretty high. That will cause your PH to rise so keep an eye on it. Adding acid you lower PH will also lower TA over time. Eventually they will reach an equilibrium and the PH rise will slow. Or if you get tired of lowering PH all the time then you can lower TA with this process, How to lower TA
Sounds like you are off to pretty good start! :thumleft:

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely you need to keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA in that chart AT ALL TIMES!!!
That chart is what differentiates TFP from the pool industry which has their head up their .... I mean in the sand ... ignoring the chemistry which is well know since the 1970s.
The pool industry just ignores the fact that when CYA enters the equation, the FC is buffered and is much less harsh.
In fact, if you had the FC level at the shock value in that table, the active chlorine would STILL be less harsh than swimming in a public pool with a FC of 2ppm and 0 CYA.

I image since you had cloudy water and have let the FC drop too low, that you should follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Got that too. I tested chlorine and pH a few minutes ago and set the filter to run 8 hours. No change in chlorine level. Plan is to do OCLT first thing in the morning, following by initiation of SLAM process if warranted. That gol-durn algae ain't a-gonna git me this time! No, sir! I'm a-gonna plug it right between its beady little green eyes...

You like that Wild West motif I've been running here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was a bad sheriff and did not follow the OCLT directions properly last night. I only did a chlorine color test when I should have done a FAS-DPD test. I will do this at sundown tonight and then again tomorrow morning to determine OCLT status. I ran the filter overnight and the water now looks fantastic. I may well go in later!

Maw! Maw!

Right! Get in there! :splash:

"Maw! Maw! I done saw the new sheriff down to the swimming pool just now!"
"Yes, Sonny Boy, he tole me he done has that pool almost rehabilitated, so he was gonna try it this afternoon. He also said to tell pooldv, jblizzle, JesseSchmidt and Rollercoastr that he done did a FAS-DPD test jes' now. He done said FC was 3 and CC was 0, and he would check again first thing tomorrow morning."

With CYA at 55, round to 60, your FC IS too low. FC needs to be above minimum at all times for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA],to keep the pool sanitary and algae free.

With CYA at 55, round to 60, your FC IS too low. FC needs to be above minimum at all times for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA],to keep the pool sanitary and algae free.

Yeah, no bout adout it. Dallas, we have confirmed chlorine loss. Last night we had FC of 3 and CC of 0. At 7:35 EDT this morning, we had FC of 1.5 with CC of 1. Ain't nothin' gonna happen today, though. It's rainin' cats and dogs here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.