MA & Pool Covers

VinDeeLoo

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Tonkawa/Oklahoma
We are leaving tomorrow for a week. I have someone checking our pool, but want the least amount of work for her.

This morning when checking pH, it has inched back up to 7.8. Just wondering if it is ok to use MA to lower the pH if we are putting the pool cover on while we are gone? I will be adding enough bleach to bring pool to slam level and putting in a chlorine puck to help.

These were me tests results as of this morning
FC 8
TC 0
CC 8
pH 7.8
TA 190 (down from over 300)
CH 210
CYA 30-40 (have trouble reading this)

Absolutely okay to add the MA and then the cover. While the cover itself will slow pH rise since it will prevent outgassing, the MA will be fully mixed in within 30 minutes.

Would the least amount of work for her possibly include taking the cover off to swim and then add a gallon or 1/2 gallon of bleach once or twice. The cover will help protect the FC in the pool, but sun's UV is also good to burn off the CC's created in the pool. I have other theories of insufficient circulation causing FC dead spots in a pool covered more than a few days - basically meaning that if she pulled it off once it would help circulate all the pool water again.

Thank you for all that have helped. We got home last night and still had chlorine pH was good. We got so much rain that our cover fell into the water,so we had some leaves and such in the pool, but not bad. We were pleasantly surprised.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.