Thank you TFP!

Dstorm258

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2016
New York
Hello everyone at TFP. This is my first post but I have been reading the forum since last summer.
We got our first pool last year, a 24' round above ground. Before the pool was even put up, my brother in law told me about the bleach, borax, baking soda method. I have been taking care of my pool that way since day 1. Last season the water was perfect all summer long.

This year I thought everything was going well until the week of July 4th. I check at least my FC and Ph everyday using my Taylor K2006. I maintain my FC and Ph everyday, my wife actuall says I am a little obsessive with how I care for the pool. But over the week of July 4 I had a lot of kids in the pool. One morning my water was a little cloudy. Checked all my levels and Ph was a little high. Adjusted it and left it alone. Then had 10-12 kids swim for hours. By the end of the day the water was VERY cloudy! At that point my CYA was at 30ppm. So I started a SLAM. Started it that Wednesday evening. By that Sunday my water was crystal clear and not losing any FC overnight.

Once it cleared I worked to raise my CYA to 40 ppm. Since then, my water has looked better than it ever has. And I noticed a big difference in the amount of bleach/chlorine I need to add everyday.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to all the helpful people here at TFP, and tell everyone else that the method really does work if you follow it! Right now I know of at least 3 friends that go the pool store route and are having huge issues with their pools. Some don't test at all, and one told me that the pool store told him his pool isn't staying clear because of the mild winter we had. I don't know if that even could be true. I try to tell friends to test their water and even offer to test for them. They all just want to listen to the pool store. Besides CYA which I got at Home Depot, I've never added a single pool store chemical to my pool.

One question, I've heard that some people boost their FC if they know they are going to have a lot of people in the pool. Right now I maintain a FC of 5ppm. If people are swimming and get out for a while I will even test and adjust if I need too. My daughter is going to have a pool party next month and I'm expecting many kids to be here swimming. How high can I boost my FC if I know there will be a lot of people in the pool?

Thanks again everyone here at TFP!

Great feedback, and nice to hear things are going so well for you. :goodjob: As for the party, you can increase FC maybe a couple ppm of FC about an hour before the party, but don't go too crazy. :) Of course make sure to test afterwards to replenish any extra usage and you should be fine. Have a great summer.

Welcome to TFP!

With a CYA level of 40 I would raise the FC to 8ppm before the party and if there is cloudiness afterwards raise it back up to SLAM level for the night.

Enjoy your pool while the others keep struggling with theirs. Some people will never learn even if you lead them straight to the pot of golden knowledge.

For some reason, pool care seems to be right up there with religion and politics as far as people staying loyal to what they believe, and the desire for change has to come from within themselves. I have no idea why that is so.

Congratulations on your Trouble Free Pool!

Thanks for for the warm welcome everyone!

Welcome to TFP!

With a CYA level of 40 I would raise the FC to 8ppm before the party and if there is cloudiness afterwards raise it back up to SLAM level for the night.

Enjoy your pool while the others keep struggling with theirs. Some people will never learn even if you lead them straight to the pot of golden knowledge.

Thanks! This is what I will do for the party.

Think of your pool as if its your car/truck/suv....your going to put gas in your vehicle before going on a trip so do the same for your pool before a heavy swim load. I'm in the same boat as you....my wife use to make fun of me always keeping up with the pool readings but that has stopped ever since friends of ours fight green pools all summer. There fix is shock it and it will be good...tried to tell them about tfp but i got looked at like i had a 2nd head on my shoulders. You got lucky like i did and found this great place early on.

Yeah everyone does a double take when I tell them my main source of chlorine is bleach. I started just saying liquid chlorine. Last year my wife was sceptical about using bleach because all of our friends go the pool store route. I found TFP while searching about using bleach to show her it is ok. Once she saw the results and heard about friends swimming pool woes she sees it works. She even grabs a couple gallons of bleach if she is out at the super market.

Now my Mother in law, she still thinks I'm crazy. When she goes in our pool she always makes comments about whether or not the bleach is gonna fade her bathing suit. She doesn't grasp the idea that I am raising the chlorine level with bleach to the same level a person would(try too) with pucks or other form of pool store chlorine. But she notices that the pool doesn't smell like chlorine and she doesn't have that public pool smell on her when she gets out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.