Is perlite an effective alternative filtration media in DE pool filters?

Jun 13, 2011
I came across an article on the use of perlite instead of DE in DE based pool filters. It had a number of benefits that I found impressive; low cost, less product needed for comparable DE filtration, environmentally safe, etc. I have a healthy amount of skepticism regarding "miracle cures" Dr's pitching "YOU too can lose 5000 pounds of fat in just 30 days!" . But if it's legit, it's a no`btainer for a number of reasons,

The product was called Ceraperl. Any thoughts or experience?

Reactions: Ignoramus
YOu have every reason to be suspicious. It is certainly no "magic bullet" and many people report issues with alternative filter media. I am not a DE expert but, like you, I am naturally skeptical and will leave it to others to experiment.

For years DE has been very reliable, but it has it's own issues. Then came along cellulose fiber and was told how great it was only to find out it had worse issues. Now I've been using Perlite and have been pleasantly surprised by its performance. Don't have the toxicity of De and doesn't seem to be susceptible of clumping like cellulose

I use it to coat my cart filter. I vac with a Pool Blaster and use skimmer socks so I pull my cart after "cotton season" and give it a good hosing and then introduce cellulose. We do have somewhat hard water here but I didn't really notice any clumping when I hose the cart off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.