Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is perlite an effective alternative filtration media in DE pool filters?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is perlite an effective alternative filtration media in DE pool filters?

I came across an article on the use of perlite instead of DE in DE based pool filters. It had a number of benefits that I found impressive; low cost, less product needed for comparable DE filtration, environmentally safe, etc. I have a healthy amount of skepticism regarding "miracle cures" Dr's pitching "YOU too can lose 5000 pounds of fat in just 30 days!" . But if it's legit, it's a no`btainer for a number of reasons,

The product was called Ceraperl. Any thoughts or experience?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Is perlite an effective alternative filtration media in DE pool filters?

YOu have every reason to be suspicious. It is certainly no "magic bullet" and many people report issues with alternative filter media. I am not a DE expert but, like you, I am naturally skeptical and will leave it to others to experiment.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

For years DE has been very reliable, but it has it's own issues. Then came along cellulose fiber and was told how great it was only to find out it had worse issues. Now I've been using Perlite and have been pleasantly surprised by its performance. Don't have the toxicity of De and doesn't seem to be susceptible of clumping like cellulose

4. Back To Top    #4

What issues does the cellulose cause? I have been using it and have had no problems. Just curious.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

In my area seemed like alot of hard clumping would occur. May be the higher calcium content in our water. This can also happen to DE after time. It wasn't as bad if you tore down filter more often.

6. Back To Top    #6

I use it to coat my cart filter. I vac with a Pool Blaster and use skimmer socks so I pull my cart after "cotton season" and give it a good hosing and then introduce cellulose. We do have somewhat hard water here but I didn't really notice any clumping when I hose the cart off.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir