Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool overflowing... What to watch for now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool overflowing... What to watch for now?

I was traveling and my kids took it upon themselves to add water to the pool. They left it on since yesterday, so I woke this am to see water draining from my overflowing pool into the yard.
    I ground pool with vinyl liner. Aside from the obvious concerns that's just wasted heaven knows how much water, what should I look for to determine if the overflow harmed the liner? There are water marks on the cement in multiple places at "joints" on the pool surround.

Thanks for your advice.
    23,000 vinyl wedge IG pool, built 2007
    Hayward ProGrid Vertical DE3620 DE filter
    Aquabot Robot
    BBB since 2012
    Hopkinton, NH, where we start swimming in lakes as soon as the snow is gone!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool overflowing... What to watch for now?

Probably not much to worry about. If it was a lot of water and you have a high water table with poor drainage around the pool, you could get water behind the liner causing wrinkling or floating of the liner. That would be rather unlikely though. If anything, your CYA and CH might be reduced a bit due to the overflow.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I have been told never to let it overflow, and we just had a beautiful huge paver pool deck installed, and they said the same. Not what the consequences could specifically be. Wrinkles I could live with. Liner failure, not so much!
    23,000 vinyl wedge IG pool, built 2007
    Hayward ProGrid Vertical DE3620 DE filter
    Aquabot Robot
    BBB since 2012
    Hopkinton, NH, where we start swimming in lakes as soon as the snow is gone!

4. Back To Top    #4

Exactly why I use these on all my outdoor hose bibs. Cheap insurance.

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62034-M...rds=hose+timer
    New salt diving pool started in February 2016. Approximately 42x20 kidney shape. 100 sq/ft tanning shelf. White Plaster. 2 Pentair 5g Color LEDs and 1 Color Globrite LED. All Pentair equipment. DE filter. Kreepy Krauly 820 robotic cleaner. EZ touch wireless system. 860 sq/ft Techo-Bloc paver patio with matching fire-pit.